GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just downloaded a computer application called SKYPE. It allows you to talk to anyone in the world with SKYPE for free over the internet. It is very clear (as good as a phone) and duplex so each party can talk at once. This is a legit free service and was recommended on ZDNET (Tech TV).

All you have to do is go to http://www.skype.com and download the free program. When you install it, you have to provide a username and password. You can also fill out a personal profile (optional) for callers to see.

Of course, you need a microphone and sound card with speakers on your computer.

It's quite good and allows conference calls too. It's like ICQ without the typing. Thought it might be a good GL1800 conference tool for some of us. If you get SKYPE, look me up and give me a call. My username is tlpickett.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I could see this being very helpful, especially when receiving technical assitance from other members on this board. The moment I find/get my mic, I will give you a buzz!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've joined and am listed... just search for "ewagnr" and give me a ring.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just finished my first conference call using SKYPE. We had 3 people on the line at once and it worked great. Just like a telephone conference call with everyone able to talk at once. Pretty cool. I'm just using a cheap computer microphone that is stuck on the side of my computer box and computer speakers. The other callers were using headsets. Everyone came in loud and clear.

BTW... there is no advertising attached to this service and it is an anti-spam site as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
joined ..user name elkk55

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just joined. DaveinOmaha

·
Registered
386 Posts
This looks really cool, but just out of curiosity I noticed it is presented by the same people who brought us KaZaA. My only concern is that KaZaA was loaded with spyware does anyone know if the same is true for Skype? I mean, nothing in life is free, someone somewhere has to be making money on this in some way.

Anyone know if there's any spyware attached?

Thanks!

TBB

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya, I was concerned about Spyware with this free product too. I checked with other forums and web-sites like PC World, ZDNet etc. and they all claim that Skype is spyware-free. Their web-site has a big No Adware/Spyware logo on it as well.

This is a beta-test version of Skype that is downloadable for free. When the main release comes out, it will cost. The word is that the computer to computer communciation will remain free but the new release will have more features and allow land-line phone to computer communication. You will have to pay for these extras.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like it's going to be a great service. I sent all you guys above a request for authorization to see when you're online.

My usual GL1800 username was already taken. I was able to get sandman_g

Now all I need is a microphone...

Gordon :roll:

G

·
I have down loaded this sucker 3 times and every time I try to install it I get an ERROR message saying it is corrupted and to download it again. what gives??????

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot to mention that you should have high-speed internet service for Skype to work optimally. Otherwise, the communication will break-up. Also, when I am on Skype, I close my internet browser to give it max. bandwidth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts