GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Zumo 595 to replace my 550. I read most of the threads on FreeWire and Sena headsets. I was so confused I consulted with my friend Jack (Daniel’s). He didn’t help and convinced my go ahead and buy it. I am now the proud owner of a FreeWire and 20S EVO headset.

My questions are:

Do I connect the Zumo to the Wing’s on board audio system, use the FreeWire aux port or pair the Zumo with the headset?

How should I add my phone to all this?

TIA

Frank

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Do you have a CB? That would be the main reason to have a freewire.

If no, maybe return the Freewire. Connect the sena, phone, and zumo to each other by Bluetooth. The sena manual shows you a couple of different options for doing that and you have to make a choice based mainly on how you want to control the phone -- use the sena (voice commands for 3 speed dials, and button combos I can never remember) or punch in via the gps onscreen. My hunch is you may want to go the route of: 1) pair phone to zumo; 2) pair sena to zumo i(read the sena manual, there's a couple of modes). Do NOT pair the phone to Sena. Use the phone through the GPS.

If you need some additional audio out of the bike (FM on top of Sena's built in FM, bike AM, CD??, etc.), you can use an SM10 which will transmit to your 20s and is less than half the cost of a Freewire.

Using GPS audio out to bike Aux in is fine for listening through bike audio (to speakers, wired headset, 20s via SM10 or Freewire) but it doesn't give you the mic in to the GPS which you'll need for gps voice commands and for anything you do with the phone if you go that route instead of pairing sena straight to GPS. Someone more read in to the Freewire and 595 wil have to point out any options you have there for getting mic signal in to the zumo via the Freewire and wires. If you pair the sena to the GPS, the bluetooth takes care of that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help.

Big Bird: I didn’t mention in the first post that I do have a cb and want to be able to use it.

Breezily: I like the idea of controlling the volume from the handle bars.

Bullet Bob: I saw that video as I was googling for info on the Sena system.

My new helmet with the 20S EVO should be in early next week. I will try different combinations and let everyone know what I decide.

Thank again,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts