GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I think it will be Friday the 13th here too.

:wink:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Roy...

They have a large rally up there every Fri. 13th.... That's what he's referring too... apparently it's the place to be on the 13th....

Melissa

·
Registered
386 Posts
Jeffy and I are planning on going but it will depend on the weather which isn't looking good right about now. We're going to play it by ear. If we see snow flurries we ain't goin anywhere. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I have 3 of us prolly going. But I beleive this time round will be in the truck. There are two next year, one in April and I beleive one in August. Those will bikein times, not rain and 40 f degrees.

Shadow1
Hal

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Vee Dub,

WOW, did you ever trigger some memories for me! I haven't been to Port Dover since May of 1956!! OH, correction, I rode with a friend in a new 1957 Volkswagen in the rain, there and back!

Is that the same Port Dover near Simcoe and Jarvis? In '56, we rode there on my 1955, R50 BMW, my friends were on; 1954 Norton, 1956 Triumph, and a 1956 BSA Goldstar! Rain, rain, rain! Fishflies? All over the place!

No place to stay, full up! We slept in the bandshell in the park, more rain!

What fun we had! This all happened after the road races at Jarvis. Do they still hold races there at the old airport?

Jonar G., aka, Whitefang

·
Registered
54 Posts
I DID NOT MAKE IT

I did not make it to Dover. We had 10 inches of wet snow on the night of 12th Oct and it fetched a lot of trees down resulting in power outages. Here in Fort Erie we were without power for 4 days our neighbors in Buffalo NY were hit even worse some of them are still without power.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Johnargreen. Yes, this is the Port Dover near Simcoe/Jarvis and the small town often gets crowds in excess of 50,000 - 100,000 bikers on good summer days when there is a Friday the 13th. Last week, I rode there (about 80 miles) in light snow flurries mixed with rain. The temperature was above freezing but not by much. The crowd was quite reduced as you might expect. Probably only about 5,000 diehards in attendance. I don't believe that Jarvis holds the races any longer (never heard of them so I'm sure it's been awhile since they were held)

Re the passport concern, I understand that passports for entry to the US from Canada are only required for air travel beginning in 2007. Then for all forms of entry after 2008. There is talk here of a more easily obtainable (cheaper) entry card (but that would kind of defeat the purpose maybe)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Went to the Jan 13th one there. Was great! rode in from Vegas. People were taking pictures of my liscense plate :) Had a blast. Best rally out there!
Glen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts