GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone have a friend stranded in Mississippi on a 2000 1500 Aspencade with a starter that is not disengaging. I'm not too familiar with the 15's but told him it has to have a relay hanging up or a solenoid. He thinks it has a solenoid near the battery that also has a 30amp fuse attached to it. One heavy positive wire off the battery goes to this part and the other end I'm assuming goes to the starter. Is this part bad for hanging up or is there another relay he needs to possibly change out? Something weird that he told me was that the starter on rare occasions seems to engage after the bike is running, assuming that whatever relay was not sticking at the time. I said maybe an issue with the start button. Headlights are on when starter is stuck engaged. So what does he need to do to get going. No Honda Dealership close by. Gold book not a help where he is. He is in Vicksburg at present. Any ideas guys?? I'll call him back tonight pending your replies. Thanks for the expertise!!
Mark

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Sounds like his "A" starter relay is hanging up. It is the one mounted at the battery. If his starter switch on the handlebar is sticking it will cause this also. Has he tried pulling out on the switch at the handle bar to see if it will stop? There's 2 small wires on that relay, one of them goes to ground and the other one goes to the switch on the handlebar. He can take either one of them off and see if it will stop spinning the starter. If it does, his starter switch on the handlebar is causing this, if it doesn't stop, then his "A" relay has burned contacts that are welding themselves together. Hitting it sternly on the side should knock it loose. If he can't knock it loose, there's a fuse going from it to the "B" relay. Tell him to pull that fuse out and it should kill the "B" relay from sending the current on to the starter. This will kill the continuous starter running, but he will have to disconnect the battery to keep it from running down overnight.

Note: Since his has reverse, the other large cable coming from the "A" relay by the battery goes to another relay(B) mounted low on the frame on the other side of the bike. He can follow the cable to it.

Note2: Mark, this bike has an almost identical circuit to your 01 wing. Does he have the service manual with him or internet service where he's at?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hey there everyone have a friend stranded in Mississippi on a 2000 1500 Aspencade with a starter that is not disengaging. I'm not too familiar with the 15's but told him it has to have a relay hanging up or a solenoid. He thinks it has a solenoid near the battery that also has a 30amp fuse attached to it. One heavy positive wire off the battery goes to this part and the other end I'm assuming goes to the starter. Is this part bad for hanging up or is there another relay he needs to possibly change out? Something weird that he told me was that the starter on rare occasions seems to engage after the bike is running, assuming that whatever relay was not sticking at the time. I said maybe an issue with the start button. Headlights are on when starter is stuck engaged. So what does he need to do to get going. No Honda Dealership close by. Gold book not a help where he is. He is in Vicksburg at present. Any ideas guys?? I'll call him back tonight pending your replies. Thanks for the expertise!!
Mark
Fisrt thing I'd do is to smack the stater bendix with something hard and heavy. Sounds like the bendix may be stuck. Try it a couple of times to make sure it doesn't stick again. Jackson has a Honda shop and its about 50 miles East. Sometimes the simple stuff just works! Hope him the best!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
1500's are known for relay issues. The starter solenoid on the right side, where the main battery cable hooks on is known to go bad. The "ghost" engagement has me questioning if that is the problem, but that is where I would start. There is also a relay I believe that sends the activation signal to the solenoid. Those are located on the left side below and behind the fuse box. Any of these that are suspect can be swapped out with any known good circuit to eliminate them as the culprit.

If it were mine and I were on the road, I would locate the main solenoid and disconnect the activation circuit. The bike could then be started by jumping the two main solenoid posts with a screwdriver. If the solenoid no longer hangs, there is a problem in the activation circuit. If that does not solve it, the main solenoid needs replaced. That solenoid is very similar to the ones used on riding lawn mowers and I have substituted one of those in a pinch.

If the activation circuit is sending "ghost" signals, that is an entirely different animal that will require a lot more troubleshooting to solve.

keep us informed...

edited to say Techdude knows what he is talking about... What he said...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Is he really stranded? Is the a hill or an incline near by? This helped me when my battery died on the 1500. I just rolled her down hill a bit and popped the clutch into 3rd and off I went.

I'm just saying this as an option if he's stuck out in the boonies in the middle of the night, and the above troubleshooting doesn't work. Worse case scenario... ask a few strong fella's to push for him.

Not the safest way... but he's really not "stuck" with a starter out as long as there's a descent incline somewhere.

When he get's to his next stop for the night... park it on a hill again, and remember not to turn it off when he get's gas. That technique has helped me limp on home, to somewhere safer, or to a reputable service place before.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like his "A" starter relay is hanging up. It is the one mounted at the battery. If his starter switch on the handlebar is sticking it will cause this also. Has he tried pulling out on the switch at the handle bar to see if it will stop? There's 2 small wires on that relay, one of them goes to ground and the other one goes to the switch on the handlebar. He can take either one of them off and see if it will stop spinning the starter. If it does, his starter switch on the handlebar is causing this, if it doesn't stop, then his "A" relay has burned contacts that are welding themselves together. Hitting it sternly on the side should knock it loose. If he can't knock it loose, there's a fuse going from it to the "B" relay. Tell him to pull that fuse out and it should kill the "B" relay from sending the current on to the starter. This will kill the continuous starter running, but he will have to disconnect the battery to keep it from running down overnight.

Note: Since his has reverse, the other large cable coming from the "A" relay by the battery goes to another relay(B) mounted low on the frame on the other side of the bike. He can follow the cable to it.

Note2: Mark, this bike has an almost identical circuit to your 01 wing. Does he have the service manual with him or internet service where he's at?
Thanks for the replies everyone! No he has limited internet access and no manual with him at present. I'm gonna call him now and have him do what you suggest Techdude! Thanks will keep guys posted here. Thanks!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Techdude I relayed him your message and a couple of the others and he will do what you suggested. He's not super mechanically inclined but is not afraid to dig in there and understands what he needs to do. He will call me tomorrow and try to hopefully get what he needs at Brookhaven Honda about 80 miles from where he is staying. Thanks for the help!!!!
Mark

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Hey, here are the part numbers for the 2 relays just in case he does have a bad "A" relay. If it is bad I would replace them both. The same starter current runs thru both everytime he starts the bike, so they have the same wear and tear on them.

"B" relay... SW, STARTER MAGNETIC
35850-MK3-671 $70.65

"A" relay... SWITCH
35851-MF5-751 $59.85

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Been off the pc lately but if heading this way call 318-388-0448 and ask for Steve. We have trailer to pick up bike and are about 80 miles away in Louisiana, West from you on I-20.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't know beans about most of this stuff - but know enough to say KUDOS to all those giving suggestions & especially Earnhart's offer !

Way to Go Guys !

Dave - Missoureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, here are the part numbers for the 2 relays just in case he does have a bad "A" relay. If it is bad I would replace them both. The same starter current runs thru both everytime he starts the bike, so they have the same wear and tear on them.

"B" relay... SW, STARTER MAGNETIC
35850-MK3-671 $70.65

"A" relay... SWITCH
35851-MF5-751 $59.85
Thanks a lot Techdude! He was able to find the B relay and installed that this morning. Has had no trouble since! He also bought the A relay but is not sure where it goes exactly but has it just in case. But for now he's happy for the great tips and help. Way to go to you and everyone who replied!! Appreciated!!
Mark

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Great! So he replaced the one next to the battery? That's the "A" relay. Glad he's got it going! :congrats: Tell him to keep an eye and an ear on the starter, it can shorten it's life a bunch by getting stuck and running like that. :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts