GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Like it

Mike L, I have had mine for two seasons now and I really think it is great. My wife has a more expensive jacket but as soon as we fine a Kilo to fit her we are going to get her one also. Mine has the fleece liner and it is really comfortable. Warm as toast in 40 degree weather.
Go for it!
Sherrel D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Get the II or the IV, the III is shorter and doesn't seem to fit as well.

The IV is this years model, and is a great jacket for the rain and cooler weather.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mike,
I have had this jacket for three riding seasons and I like it very much. I only use it in the late fall, winter and early spring. I get to hot in this jacket in the warmer weather. I wear a First Gear Meshtex jacket in the warmer months.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Wife and I both have the II. Great jackets and would buy them again.

Shop around as some places have them really discounted.

Try "Powersports4less.com"

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Had mine for 3 years as well.
Excellent jacket, lots of vents, rarely need the liner.

This year rode in heavy rain for 2 days and at the end of the second day I had a wet shirt. Have since used a silicone spray, ridden in light rain, seems to be holding up well.

Yes, I would buy another one.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
They're very nice jackets.
Naturally, they don't make them in my size... ...although they say they do and I had to return mine...
So just be warned that the sizing runs toward the smallish end.
But construction and features are very good.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Women's jacket

hello Mike:

...my wife has the identical jacket of the photo you posted
...she absolutely enjoys the comfort - the salesman commented
that women, being somewhat less muscled, smaller frame etc
don't necessarily feel the heat the way most men would -

...my wife wears the jacket throughout the summer, spring and
fall - hasn't yet commented about being too warm even in the
summer but is very comfortable in the early spriing and later fall

...as soon as I lose about 70 lbls or so, I' be getting the same coat

...regards....Ken

·
Registered
85 Posts
Both my wife and I have them. Great cool weather coats. In the summer we both have meshtexs.

Ed

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have had the Kilimanjaro AIR for several seasons and find it is the best riding jacket I have ever owned. I have ridden with it in the summer up to 90 deg. with the liner removed and it is very cool. I have ridden in the pouring rain and stayed dry. (note: a baggy in the pockets keeps the outside things dry) I rode in this morning at 23 deg. with the liner in and it was very comfortable and warm. It does everything I have ever wanted from a riding jacket. It might not be quite stylish enough for the Lady's' however. :lol:

http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_kili ... t_page.htm

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mike,

This jacket is well made and is a good all around jacket for weather protection, but not reaaly for crash protection.

My opinion of the First Gear line of clothing is that they will provide better protection than a shirt and blue jeans but not really suitable compared to other brands.

This jacket will look good and keep wind and rain off but WILL allow the road to scrape the skin off you wife's body. For crash protection you want padding that will take the first hard blows as she hits the ground, then you want materials that will not be shredded to expose her skin to the asphalt. Skin grafts cost more than the more expensive jacket on the market!

If you have a chance to look at brands such as Olympia, Motoport, and Aerostich you will notice the cloth is much thicker, stiffer and heavy weight. As important you will find the padding to be thicker, larger and in more places.

These products will cost more because the basic materials cost more..

So what is this jacket going to be for? A weather protection garment? A fashion jacket.....which should be part of the decision!!...or is this mainly going to be a crash protection jacket?

These are my opinions....but I am an older guy who admits that just a few years ago I would not be spending money on a jacket just in case I crashed. Now I know how smart it is to do so.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for your opinions I appreciate them. NO Mike I'm not in trouble, at least I don't think so ?.........LOL This jacket is going to be an all around spring/fall type riding jacket. I like the looks and so does she, but I was also wondering about the protection as that is very high on my list.
I think I will look around for a better protection type jacket. Thanks again for your assistance all ?......... :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
My wife has worn one for three seasons now. We have ridden down into the 30's with no complaints form the back.
We are sure to use Wickers undergarments and fleece wear along with the Kilamanjaro.
Olympia also makes a nice jacket - the AST. They have it for men and women. I bought one from a BMW Dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts