GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just competed in my first rally. The Good Bad and he Ugly that started and ended south of Bozeman mt. It was a 30 hour with modified Iron butt rules. the rally staff was great everything ran well. They had a first time riders division with 12 riders in it. The rookies if they chose one of 6 routes they could get a Saddle soar award if they got to a certain spot with in 24 hours with a receipt to prove you made it. The routes were labeled Good bad and ugly 2 of each one clock wise one counter clockwise, if you completed these it did not mean you completed the ralely, you needed more points than just the good or bad route gave you the, The Ugly would give you a finish. you were free to make side trips or stop at other spots to get bonus on any of the routes. the "good" was a lot of slab and easy riding. the ugly on the other hand did not have a lot of slab some but it had lots of twistys. Well me not being that smart and liking twistys I choose the Ugly. I ran it counter clockwise so I could stare into the sun for 2 sun rises and one sun set. Actually that was not my entire reasoning the counter clock wise would make sure I road bear tooth in the day light I had never ridden Bear tooth before and I wanted to and I could get bonus points on it. Also I figured I would be in the NW part of the state where I had been before in the dark as opposed to the eastern part where I would be there in the daylight and could push the speed limit a bit.

I would say this you have to be a bit crazy to do this. but it was fun. I finished 5th in the rookie class and got my saddle soar. I would have done better if I would not have made the rookie mistake of not having my flag in the first 3 stops. I went back and got the first one on my way back. I also went by a bonus not sure how I did that I realized it and went back and got it. I went 25 miles back and got the bonus for an additional 50 miles. but what is 50 miles in 1500

I ended up with 1500 plus corrected miles I would have been considered a finisher in the unlimited division

I learned some things one is make sure you have the photo with the flag in it. Be more organized than I was. I spent too much time looking for stuff. Make sure what the next bonus is, that way I would have saved 50 miles. Put things in a safe spot. I lost a bag of nuts out of my pockets and my flashlight.I felt some thing slide out of my pocket in the middle of the night I checked to see I had my camera and and my wallet I was going over 50 so I did not go back to see what fell out at the next stop I figured it out fortunately I had a second smaller light and by then I had no more night bonus. Also if you are going to this on a wing you need more fuel. most of get around 40 mpg on normal ridding. Well at rally pace at altitude I did not get near that and when you are ridding in mt at night it can be a problem

I would say that I might do this again but guys this is a dangerous sport.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would like to try it except I do not like to ride at night.

Mark

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I not real fond of night ridding either. The real competitive guys have enough lights on their bikes to make the dark go a way. I had extra lights but not enough if you choose your routes you might be able to ride on the slab at night which is I find easier but more boring more likely to fall a sleep

1 - 3 of 3 Posts