GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the front speaker on an 04 model??
The instructions say to tug down on the speaker "box" to get at the hidden screw in the upper corner.
I can't get the box to budge so it looks like the whole front (windshied, dash, etc) will have to come off.
I hope not!!!
Any help appreciated.

mike

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
If I remember correctly , the speaker covers come off to access the bolts to the cover there.

The covers can be tricky to remove without damage

One of the guys will chime in and tell us

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony.
The screw that is hidden is the one that is in the upper corner of the speaker itself. It holds the speaker to the speaker box.
I may leave this question to Lewis at EC because I have one of his amps on the way. I think I will have to remove the speakers again to wire up the amp.

G

·
0 Posts
Speakers

Mike--

....one way to get to that "hidden" screw is to use a Dremel and chew a little of the material away....it's still covered by the meter housing when put back together....I think my EC directions showed mounting new speakers with only three screws.

A word of caution....be careful that the speaker connections do not contact the meter housing mounting bolts, which are right behind the speakers! (Don't ask how I know this! :oops: )

Ron

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tourist! I was leaning toward the dremel myself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
stapler101 said:
Thanks Tourist! I was leaning toward the dremel myself.
Yep a little Dremel work and you can remove and replace screw. Just go easy and remove just what you need to.

Panther

G

·
0 Posts
stapler101 said:
Has anyone replaced the front speaker on an 04 model??
Unless you must access them to install the amp, are you sure you want to replace them?

I added Polk speakers to the rear of my '04, and they sound great. Having front & rear speakers is better, than having front alone. But, the Polk rear speakers don't sound any better, alone, than the OEM front speakers, alone, which also sound fine.

Someone, who ordered an amp for his not-yet-delivered '04 said that the '04 audio system sounded better than his previous 1800's sound system, and if he had known how good it was, he might not have ordered an amp. I have no basis for comparison, so I don't know. I suspect the amp makes the sound system better (even if it is already good), but I don't know whether replacing the front speakers is going to result in an improvement.

BTW, I'm not suggesting the answer, only raising the question :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts