GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can buy frogg togg material by yard? I want my wife to make a trailer cover for my Bushtec from it.Waterproof and lightweight.I have cover made from tent material but it needs replacing....Thanks

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
if you find out, share the wealth.. i was going to do one in nylon..

·
Registered
312 Posts
I believe it's spun-bonded polyethylene: eg Tyvek, Typar, or any other vapor-permeable house wrap.

Theirs is dyed and doesn't have the huge lettering on it ("TYVEK!"), but I believe it's the same stuff.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Tyvek: At your local Home depot or Ebay You can get it without the wording on it.
Hazle

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I would be concerned about the material rubbing on the finish of the trailer. I would think it might but a 'rub' in the paint.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have since found out the name of the material is Polypropolene Trilaminate...I have googled it and have not been successful yet....Jim

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think its the same material. Tyvek is a vapor barier, it dosen't breath (vapor transfer). The Frogg Togg material works good because it does breath (has micro-pores to allow vapor transfer).

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
From the DuPont website...

This unique balance of properties, which cannot be found in any other material, makes Tyvek® lightweight yet strong; vapor-permeable, yet water-, chemical-, puncture-, tear- and abrasion-resistant. Tyvek® is also low-linting, smooth and opaque

Tyvek is "vapor permeable"...it does breathe...further..

Because Tyvek® is water resistant, yet breathable, it is ideal for car, boat and camper covers. The unique nonwoven structure of Tyvek® protects against acid rain and salt spray by holding out more water than cotton, polyester or cotton/polyester covers; however, because it is breathable, it also allows trapped moisture to escape, helping to prevent rot and mildew. What's more, because Tyvek® does not absorb water, it is significantly lighter than other covers -- even when wet. Tyvek® is a proven shield from the sun, blocking 98 percent of the sun's damaging ultraviolet (UV) rays, and it is specially engineered to keep out abrasive dirt and dust, so finishes are less likely to become dull or stained.

Frogg Toggs are made of Tyvek......Tyvek can be "spun" to make it wearble or soft...or harder etc

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Aw...come-on Jim, be a sport and.....
call up Froggs Togs and tell em you want to order a rain jacket
with the dimensions of your trailer. Please have a recorder running
so we can enjoy the interesting exchange that will occur. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
343 Posts
TYVEK

http://www.materialconcepts.com/pages/d ... UAodfn18FA

the above link is a site where one can buy sheets of Tyvek. BTW, do a search for Copernic Basic Agent and you can download one of the best free search engines available, actually is can be configured for 17 engines to do the searching and gives a ton more info than does Google.
Buck

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I bought a car cover @ Walmart years ago that was pretty much Tyvek.You could go that route and cut it down to fit your trailer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Frogg Togg material

I still can't find a place to buy this material and Frogg Togg won't give out information ( I bet you can guess why).I researched on Dogpile.com and the search engine that was recommended with similar results.It is not only to save money,I like to make things my way.....If I ever find out I will post for others here.....Thanks .....Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jim Ciampi said:
I have since found out the name of the material is Polypropolene Trilaminate...I have googled it and have not been successful yet....Jim
You may have mis-spelled the material...my search engine returned with:
Polypropolene Trilaminate, and when that was entered here is just one site that came up with info.
http://www.danielsafetyproducts.com/html/fabrics.html
Good Luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To NJREF

Okay, I stand corrected. And thanks for checking. I didn't think it was the same material because some years ago I did research on hazardous waste sites and wore the white tyvek suits, and I gota tell ya, that stuff does not breathe. The Frogg Toggs material looks much different to me and is much more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Ray

We're cool...even though it is reported to "breathe"...whatever that means...it does get moist and toasty under the Frogg Toggs in warm rainy weather.

If one really wants a waterproof fabric that does reall, really breathe...Goretex is the way to go.

Some have used tyvek suits in the labs...until someone had a fire and the suit melted to his skin.....not a large area but enough to cause problems and a lot of undue PAIN!!! As a result we cannot wear Tyvek in the labs any longer.

Good points and thanks for your posts! Be well!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts