GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confession time! I have been a lurker for a while on the board, trying to soak up as much info on the GL1800 as possible. After 300K miles on several Harleys in the past 15 years, I sold my 2003 Ultra Classic (with 143K miles on the clock) in December, and took delivery of a new, '08 Black Level 3 GW in late January. Holy cow - what a ride. My wife quizzed me like crazy on what the ride was like. My initial thoughts were "smooth, effortless, powerful." I've been out of town for several weeks and have only had it for about 2 weeks of riding time, so have only rolled up just over 1000 miles, but (as you all know), I am solidly impressed.

My wife is also a serious rider and currently has 97K miles on her 2003 H-D Heritage Sofftail. My mistake was in proclaiming the virtues of the Wing. Now, in the garage next to mine, is her new, '08 Black, Level 3 Wing and we are trying to sell her Harley! I'm sure she will like the GW as much as I do.

Thanks also for the members on this board. I have asked several rookie questions, as I get accustomed to the new ride, and the responses have been prompt and very helpful. Searching the older postings have also been helpful, from installing a belly pan, to changing out the turn signal bulbs. Thanks again & safe riding to all (now I'm off to the garage again to install a belly pan on the newest addition to the garage! --NN

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Welcome to the Goldwing world.

:congrats:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Welcome to Beakman's World. WOW, that's a lot of miles on a 2003 U-C. Was it stock or was there modifications done to it. Once again, welcome.

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
Welcome A Board and congrats x2 :thumbup:

:biker::biker:

·
Canuck
2,849 Posts
Congratulations! Wishing you and your wife many happy years Winging it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EZ: To answer your question, this Ultra & my previous 2 were basically stock, which I believe is why they were so reliable. I wasn't trying to push a lot of extra horsepower. Had 89K miles on a 1998 model before this one, and 62K on a 1995 model before that, so I'm a believer in "Stock." --NN

·
Registered
778 Posts
Roadhawg wrote:

EZ: To answer your question, this Ultra & my previous 2 were basically stock, which I believe is why they were so reliable. I wasn't trying to push a lot of extra horsepower. Had 89K miles on a 1998 model before this one, and 62K on a 1995 model before that, so I'm a believer in "Stock." --NN
You Sir are right. Keeping a Harely (or any motorcycle) stock is the key to long term enjoyment of riding.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Actually owning two GL1800's to me makes a lot of sense. By the time you've interpreted the manufacture's often greek-like written instructions usually put together by someone who has never actually done that particular installation, you really need a 2nd GL1800 to do a 2nd install and make the job go smoothly and effortless.

Enjoy the ride and welcome,

DaleC

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.