GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The end of July I am heading to Glacier National Park Probably go through North Dakota on the way out and South Dakota on the way back. Have nine days. Any advice on places to stay or roads to ride is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Stay out of gary indiana bud.....I was told by a highway patrol guy that it has the highest rate of shootings in the states per capita. I enquired about going to see where the jacksons were born etc and he asked me what I thought my life was worth...of course being naive and canadian I had no idea what he was talking about.

I opted to take his word for it......on the way back from ontario via the same route I was filling up and there was a different patrol officer so I asked him the same question and he gave me the same answer......and he said THEY DON'T EVEN GO THERE......so I guess the first guy wasn't just trying to scare me.

Jer

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Stay out of gary indiana bud.....I was told by a highway patrol guy that it has the highest rate of shootings in the states per capita. I enquired about going to see where the jacksons were born etc and he asked me what I thought my life was worth...of course being naive and canadian I had no idea what he was talking about.

I opted to take his word for it......on the way back from ontario via the same route I was filling up and there was a different patrol officer so I asked him the same question and he gave me the same answer......and he said THEY DON'T EVEN GO THERE......so I guess the first guy wasn't just trying to scare me.

Jer
If you look at his profile, he lives in Gary, IN. I'd say he knows all about the problems of Gary, IN. With that said, I drive through Gary, IN every day going to work. For the most part, if you go looking for trouble, you'll find it. If you mind your own business you'll be fine. As with any big city, there are places to stay away from.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Now that's funny.

Maybe racer23 is one of the scary guys in Gary, Indiana that we should be afraid of.:lol:

·
Registered
310 Posts
If your going to Glacier National Park you need to ride "The road to the sun" been to Glacier 3 times it's beautiful country :cool:

·
Registered
758 Posts
I did this trip last year but kinda of in the other direction.

From NY to Sturgis, then Hell's Canyon in Oregon, up to Spokane and then back through Glacier National, so I enter GNP from the west side and this is where I stayed and roads I was on, for what it's worth to you.

I left Spokane and rode east ( heading home) on 90 I then took 135 at St Regis Idaho north to 200 and then 93 North to WhiteFish MT, some very nice roads and some fantastic scenery on that ride.

I stayed in Whitefish at the Chalet motel, very biker friendly, clean towels to wash down the bike.........food and bars within walking distance, free continental breakfast, WiFi etc, pool. Nice place.

I then headed south out of Whitefish to 40 east and cut over to 2 north and entered West Glacier, took Highway to the Sun to Logans Pass, exited the park at Browning MT. Then 89 to 15 to Great Falls and then took 3/87/200 to Lewistown and spent the night there and stayed at the B&B motel, again, very biker friendly, cheap place but there isn't much in Lewiston! Next day jumped on 200 heading east to Glendive and continued on 94 to Fargo ND. I stayed at the Best Western Doublewood Inn there, usually BW let you put your bike under the front cover area for the night, kinda of why I stay at them when I can. Nice place, good food, great bar and pool.

Next day I rode to Elkhart Indiana and home from there.

On the way out I hit Sturgis, Black Hills, Devils Tower, Yellowstone ( didn't do Beartooth as it was 50 degrees and raining) and continued west from there through Idaho and over to Hell's Canyon in Oregon.

When you are coming back out of GNP, some thoughts. You might want to try and hit Lolo Pass in Idaho, then head over to Yellowstone, exit Yellowstone using Hwy 212, Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge. Then make your way over to Sheridan WY via 14 through Big Horn National forest. Make your way to Gillette, just east of there, take 14 to 24 and stop by Devils tower.............the riding in that area is great. Stay on 24 to 34 into Belle Fourche SD and then 85 south to Spearfish and ride Spearfish Canyon. ALT 14 south to 85. Needles Hwy is in there, Custer NP, Mt Rushmore, Sitting Bull Memorial, Iron MT road (ALT-16) and head over to Rapid City.

Take 90 east (and of course stop in Wall SD at the Wall Drug store!) and head south into Badlands NP. At Kadoka SD off of 90 head south ( off the slab) and back road it to Vermillion SD, don't remember the route numbers but did entail 18 via Yankton to Vermillion. From Vermillion ( we were heading west) you can then ride 20 across Iowa to Anamosa and stop at J&P cycles and the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, nice place, lots to see. If you end up anywhere near Davenport, stop at the worlds largest truck stop..................it was amazing!

One word of caution about hwy 20 in Iowa.................there were NOT a lot of places to get gas, so fill up when you can..........trust me I almost ran out, running on fumes because I didn't know that.

Cheers, hope that helps in the planning.

·
Registered
924 Posts
:oops:.....guess it was real late....but it is what I was told.

The posts above about the beartooth and the road to the sun are bang on...don't miss them.....we are doing them again this summer with my new to me wing...can't wait

1 - 8 of 8 Posts