GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've decided to try and learn a little more about my bike and try to save a little money in the meantime. I needed a new rear tire and brakes to pass inspection here in PA. I pulled my front and rear tire to give them a good cleaning and polishing and check both sets of brakes. Took the fronts off and cleaned pistons as per Fred's videos. Pads still looked pretty good. Just switched the lefts and rights as a few of you have mentioned. I'm slow but got them done.

Here's the problem. The rear brakes came out easy. However, when I cleaned the pistons and tried to push them back in I could get the bottom two in till there was about a 1/4 inch left but the top piston is out to the caliper. When I get that pushed in the bottom two come back out. When I try to push them all in at the same time, I can't get them to move.

I have tried everything I can think of. I searched this site for suggestions. I have tried c-clamps, a long screwdriver, a piece of wood, opened up both brake cylinders. I'd like to try pulling the caliper but not sure how.

Any other suggestions?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Me thinks you got to much fluid in the rear reservoir and it won't allow you to compress the three pistons back into the caliper?.

Try and remove a little fluid from the rear master reservoir.But first use an old pad and loosely place the c-clamp on the caliper with an old pad,then pump the pedal to expand the pistons a little bit..so brake fluid doesn't shower you when you take the cap off the reservior..

Have a bucket of water handy to neutralize any brake fluid if this happens?.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Open both bleeder valves and try again. You will probably need to bleed the brakes afterwords.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rocky, I checked the rear master cylinder and it barely registers above the lower level line. Now the front m/c is pretty full. It's my understanding that the front and rears work in tandem when you use the front brake. Correct? Now, I don't have the front brakes hooked up, (waiting on a shipment of Protectaclear to put on my wheels) before I install them. Could that cause the problem?

By the way, I took your suugestion and called Direct Line and they matched the price for the Visor "A" you recommended. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts