GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me exactly the placement of the front and rear "Honda" emblems for a Goldwing? The side emblems are pretty foolproof as there are holes in the side covers for exact placement. My emblems were removed for a paint job and I'm trying to be sure we "get the new ones on right." BTW, does it really make any difference where they are adhered? I know the front has an indentation in the nose piece so that one is a no-brainer. The trunk is really the one in question.
Thanks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I replaced the emblems on my 01 but I just "eyeballed" them into place. They may not be in the "stock" position but they look OK to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pics. The one of the trunk gives me a good idea of how to place the emblem. As mentioned before, the front is probably not a problem, nor the sides. I've even debated not even putting the emblems on, as everywhere I went before painting, I was constantly asked, "What kind of sickle is that" (and it clearly was embled as a Honda Goldwing.) So, if people don't bother to read, why should I bother to have them on there? :lol:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I agree with Barney Biker 1. If I had a reason to take mine off, they aren't going back on.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Leave them off. Makes the bike easier to clean up.
I took my front letters off so I can get the bugs off easier.

Barney
Did that on my first one and every one thereafter. Much easier to clean. ( When I do clean :lol:)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, there is the matter of what to do with the 2 holes in the side panels if I leave the emblems off. I don't like holes.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Emblems

I took mine off. I took the ones off the side covers had the holes filled before painting. Much better looking in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well, there is the matter of what to do with the 2 holes in the side panels if I leave the emblems off. I don't like holes.
I used bolts with chrome caps to fill the holes in the side covers.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Residue or Blemish remain when removed?

I agree with Barney Biker 1. If I had a reason to take mine off, they aren't going back on.
I have heard that removing the letters from the plastic leaves a mark or removes the clearcoat. I'd love to take mine off for cleaning but don't want to pop something off only to have an ugly reminder.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
If I knew there would not be the "reminder" you mentioned, I'd remove the lettering on my '08.

·
Registered
770 Posts
When I removed the HONDA letters from my 01 and removed the adhesive there were no "reminders" left to see. I mounted the new emblem above where the letters were and you cannot see any evidence that the letters were ever there.
Maybe I was just lucky, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Encouraging. Easiest/simplest way to remove them?

Can they be painted and re-applied?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Encouraging. Easiest/simplest way to remove them?

Can they be painted and re-applied?
I use fine fishing line or dental floss and try to get the line as close to the painted surface as I can so I have less of the adhesive to remove when I take the letter off. Heating the letters a little with a hair dryer helps too. After the letters are removed I use Goo Gone to get all the adhesive off the paint. If it is stuck on really good I use a wooden scraper with the Goo Gone.
If I wanted to remove the letters and re-apply them I would get some new ones and paint and install them. Too tricky for me to use the old letters and attach backing to them and hope that they would stick. The letters are not that expensive.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I used bolts with chrome caps to fill the holes in the side covers.
awingnut105,
Any chance you still have your old side cover emblems? Mine are looking rather sad, beat and banged up. Been like that since I bought it but I would be interested in your old ones if you don't need / want them.

Thanks
Eck

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
traveling tenor-
Thanks for the input. My son has been trying to get me to remove mine and paint them black. This is good info for me.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
awingnut105,
Any chance you still have your old side cover emblems? Mine are looking rather sad, beat and banged up. Been like that since I bought it but I would be interested in your old ones if you don't need / want them.

Thanks
Eck
Sorry, but I didn't keep them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts