GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just removed my front whee and before I reassemble I though I would lube the front axel. Can't find what the prorper lube is. Anyone know what would be best?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
The bearings are sealed.

Only reason to put a little grease on the slide through axle, is to try and prevent any water that might get through, and rusting etc.

We lube each axle that we change, just because we can.

Spraying water under pressure (car wash, pressure washer) directly on the axle and bearings is not recommended.

We also put a little grease film around the outside of the bearings. Again, because we can!

Bulldog

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just a thin coating of general purpose grease along the entire length of the axle will prevent corrosion and ensure that it can always be removed and installed easily.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Farmer Jack said:
I greased the front wheel bearing with a fine grease needle. The needle is inserted into the bearing in two place, 180 degrees apart between the inner race (shaft) and the lip of the seal. The grease needle has a zerk head on it for your grease gun to snap onto.
I have used this method of greasing bearing for years with great success and years of extended bearing life.

Farmer Jack
Is this an option? Where would one get a fine grease needle with a zerk fitting? My Google search produced no results.

·
Registered
342 Posts
wrenched said:
I use "ANTI-SEIZE".
I have always used Anti-seize as well. Most wrenches will recommend this too. Anti-seize will not get hard or run out under extreme heat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Solo, You should be able to locate a thin needle lube injecter at an automotive parts store. It is the type used to lubricate U-Joints by injecting the lubricant into the center of the fitting. The needle is used to depress the little ball in the center of the fitting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts