GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone please explain this to me?
I just replaced my front brake pads on a 2008 GL1800 I purchased used 3-4 years ago.
The brake pads came in a set of 2, and all pads looked like the same thickness, although I did not inspect them real closely.
After installing the pads, and a couple weeks later, I took the 2008 GL1800 for a ride and noticed a dragging noise coming from the front wheel area. Upon further inspection I found that the left brake disk, but not the right disk, was dragging on the rotor. It appears that this has been happening for a long time (or someone filed out a piece of the rotor) because the rotor had a grove in it where the rotor was dragging in.
As I closely inspected the right brake pad (the one that does not move) it seems as if it is all the way up against the caliper. Since it is all the way against the caliper, the disk has to rotate against the left side of the caliper, as opposed to the normal rotating between the disk pads and not touching anything. The pads I purchased were for a 2008 GL1800 and the right front brake caliper and pad fit properly, with nothing rubbing. But, the left caliper brake pads do not fit properly. I have seen enough GL1800 calipers over the years that I am pretty sure that both calipers are the ones designed for this bike.

Attached is a pic of the caliper. As you can see, the brake pad on the left in the pic (non moveable one) is all the way against the caliper and cannot move any farther left to accommodate the brake disk so that is would not rub the caliper. You can also see on the right side of the caliper (right in the pic) that the disk is rubbing the caliper.

What I am missing?

Unfortunately I already threw away the old pads, or I would try and install the thinnest one against the caliper in hopes to move the disk left and away from rubbing the caliper.

Attachments

·
Vendor
17,832 Posts
Sorry ... I didn't read it all. But you have CentraMatics on your Wing. When those get mounted, they move the rotor outward, and on some Wings, it can cause the rotor to rub the caliper mount on the left side. Thus, it is extra critical that your front wheel be mounted correctly, and also push the etch mark on the spinal inwards, but still be in line with the edge of your slider. That should greatly help. I would also suggest OEM pads. The backing plates on the ones in the picture are thin. Because of our integrated braking system, pads with thicker backing plates work better.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Before you get to deep into it, try this. Put it on the center stand, loosen the pinch bolts on the front axle, don't take the axle nut loose, bounce the front end a few times, pull the front brake lever a couple times, and take a look at how it's setting. If the spacing looks correct, re-torque the pinch bolts and spin the wheel to verify it's still square to the world. One question for you, when you replaced the pads, did you verify the caliper was moving freely on its slide pins? I would think it should move enough to prevent it from riding like that for any length of time. Good luck.

·
Vendor
17,832 Posts
Good catch, I'll remove the disks and check that the centramatics are installed correctly.
I doubt your CentraMatics are installed incorrectly. However, your front wheel, or more specifically, your front spindle maybe. In your Owner's Manual it will tell how the front spindle needs to be. The path is:

Owner's Manual > index > tires > flat

Towards the end of that section, it shows how the etch mark on the spindle needs to line up with the fork slider. Start with checking that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing about the spindle issues is the brake pad will not allow the brake disk to move left (in the pic), the pad is right up against it. In fact, even if the centramatic was on wrong, any change to move the brake disk would be impeded by the left brake pad.

Make sense?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,377 Posts
It looks like the .7mm clearance wasn’t checked during reassembly and the left slider is inward too much or the axle is not fully seated in the right slider. This causes the caliper housing to contact the rotor and do exactly what your picture is showing. I would loosen both sides pinch bolts and make sure the axle nut is properly torqued then tighten the right side pinch bolts and then the left side pinch bolts after confirming the clearance of the rotor and caliper. The caliper will survive this, but you’ll likely have to replace the left rotor at some point due to the wear at its edge from the caliper contact. I think it’s a wheel to caliper alignment issue unless that inside pad is not letting the rotor move toward the center of the caliper slot. The rear pads are thicker and maybe that’s a rear pad instead of the correct front pad.

From the service manual:
Check the clearance between the brake disc and cal-
iper bracket on each side after installation.
The clearance should be at least 0.7 mm (0.28 in).
If the feeler gauge cannot be inserted easily, loosen
the axle holder bolts and pull the fork outward or
push inward to adjust the clearance. Then tighten
the axle holder bolts to the specified torque.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts