GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my front wheel with a new tire, the wheel is a spare I bought a few years ago , I now have a pulse in the front brake system(when applying brakes) , I assume I may have a warped disc.

Has anyone purchased those disks from china? They are quite a bit cheaper than even used Honda disks.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Yes to save wear and tear to my OE rotors I purchased a pair of China wave rotors on Ebay I had them on the bike for like 4 or 5 years with no issues took them off recently and installed the OEM back on :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
On my 2002 I always removed the rotors for my manual tire changes. Got them on backward one time and what I noticed was a pulse in front brakes just before bike would come to a complete stop. I put them on correctly and all was well. OE rotors are marked and apparently it makes a difference.

prs

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my 2002 I always removed the rotors for my manual tire changes. Got them on backward one time and what I noticed was a pulse in front brakes just before bike would come to a complete stop. I put them on correctly and all was well. OE rotors are marked and apparently it makes a difference.

prs
Do you know where to find the marks?

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
Now he want to challenge my memory! LOL

IIRC, it is an embossed arrow on the inner mount ring, the part where the rotor bolts fasten to hub. It may be on the outer sides only. Some one will verify for us.

prs

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now he want to challenge my memory! LOL

IIRC, it is an embossed arrow on the inner mount ring, the part where the rotor bolts fasten to hub. It may be on the outer sides only. Some one will verify for us.

prs
I believe you are right i just went to look and saw the arrow for wheel rotation. Checked mine and the arrow is ponting in the right direction.

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
The rotor's mount cage could be bent. Fred discussed that a long time back, maybe 2003 or so. I think he straightened his.

prs

Reactions: Barney Biker 1

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took the plunge and decided to go ahead and buy the arashi disks. We'll see how they work.

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just as a followup, I switched the disks with the wheel I took off and the braking is OK so it is definitley something with one or both of the disks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The best option in my opinion is to stick with your rotors rather than buy some knock offs. I recently had one of my front rotors tweaked during a tire replacement, a board member here told me about True Disc web site check it out, mailed my rotors to him he’s a machinist by trade works out of his home. He trued and resurfaced both rotors to new condition for 30.00 each with same day turn around. Very happy ?

·
Vendor
17,833 Posts
Just changed my front wheel with a new tire, the wheel is a spare I bought a few years ago , I now have a pulse in the front brake system(when applying brakes) , I assume I may have a warped disc.

Has anyone purchased those disks from china?
I've not personally purchase any, however I know some who have and a couple of them had problems with them. If I recall, it has to do with pulsation and noise. One guy corrected his pulsation by flipping his rotors from side to side. Or maybe it was a bad chatter ... can't remember.

I believe EBC is now making rotors for 5th gens.

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/motorcycle/honda/gl-1800-a1-a2-a3-a4-a5-goldwing/2001-2005/37001

1 - 13 of 13 Posts