GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK gang. Wrote about a whine sometime ago, and finally changed the front tire. Now I have a repetitive sound from the front like an old tire out of round on a cage. Can't feel it in the bars & it is constant whether turning or not. Raised front when I got home and rotated the wheel. The right brake seems to be dragging at the same spot on each rev. Any suggestions? Leaving on a 1200 mile run Tuesday early. This does not seem to have any effect other than the noise it makes. It is much worse than before the tire change.

TIA

Shiv

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
When you put the wheel back on did you follow the procedure for bouncing the suspension up & down? It might be slightly out of alignment.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dealer did it. Seems to be worse on chip seal roads @ 55mph. It tracks fine. Maybe a puck not retracting all the way? Both rotors are @ same temp when I stop.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
If you have the front wheel off of the ground and give it a good spin, how many times will it go around before it stops? Most all of the brakes I have seen drag a little.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks - it seems to rotate freely enough, but it makes contact and noise on every turn.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think TravelinLite nailed it.

Just because a dealer did it doesn't mean it was done correctly.

Either they failed to check caliper/rotor clearance, or they bent the rotor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you have rotor covers, ck to be sure one is not scrubbingthe rotor. Also look on the LEFT SIDE of the wheel and make sure the rotor is traveling in the center of the caliper. It can be off a little and the rotor will scrub against the caliper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts