GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I have the bike down for a few days, I would like to take off the calipers up front and look at the pads. I have everything already off except the back part of the fender. Is there a link to a post that shows someone doing this. The right side looks like my VTX but the left side has an additional bracket. Just want to make sure I don't take any longcuts.

wingdinger63

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
The rear section of the fender doesn't have to come off to remove the calipers. As a matter of fact, if you just want to inspect the pads easily, remove the right caliper, then the wheel and you have great access to the pads.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you have a small mirror, (like a ladies compac mirror), just hold it down under the brake caliper on each side and under the rear and you can see the pads without removing anything. If it is dark, shine a light onto the mirror surface. It will light up the calpers.:coffee1::coffee1::coffee1:

·
Registered
927 Posts
While I have the bike down for a few days, I would like to take off the calipers up front and look at the pads. I have everything already off except the back part of the fender. Is there a link to a post that shows someone doing this. The right side looks like my VTX but the left side has an additional bracket. Just want to make sure I don't take any longcuts.

wingdinger63
To answer your question, the back half of the fender is secured not only by the 4 obvious screws, and the center one that holds the back to the front, but by the end of some of the small bolts that hold on parts of the brake system. Shine a light looking from the front of the bike, inside the fork tubes, looking at the top front of the rear fender, you'll see the two bumps showing where the bolts connect up. When you've removed every attach bolt, it still requires some tugging and wiggling to clear the solid brake lines.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. After looking at it, I saw that the right side caliper was two bolts and the left side was only one allen bolt. I was able to take off both calipers without removing the wheel. The pads were ok but I think I will change them out during winter.

wingdinger63

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
If all you want to do is inspect the pads, NO tupperware need be reomved and NO reason to remove calipers. Just remove the rubber plug at the bottom of the caliper, then the pad retainer pin and catch the pads as they fall down. When replacing, you need to make sure the upper "dog ear" of each pad goes into its spring loaded slot; you can feel the spring resistance and you can look from t eh opposite side to see the engagement.

prs

·
Registered
199 Posts
brake

I wingdinger63

If this can help address

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/brakepads&page=1

FlyBoy2121

wingdinger63

1 - 7 of 7 Posts