GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter finally broke here in Pa.....got the bike out and noticed that the front brake lever does not activate the rear brake lights.....I assume it is the switch at the lever, but first I will clean it good. Anyone ever had the switch go bad?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A good cleaning did the trick!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yep just the other day, If you take it off and look at it. You will see that it is easy to clean, has holes in it, Once you clean it put a piece of tape over the holes and maybe it will work longer. Also make sure the blade connectors are tight.. I just bought a new one & it has no holes in it. it was Honda oem & cheap enough to replace, as now I don't trust the original one, I have to be lit up on the backside cause I am parenoid!! :eek:4:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Mine quit working but not sure if it failed or not. I was at the shop and my mechanic just put a new switch on it for free and sent me on my way.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
I've replaced several of them. Sometimes you can clean them and they will work for a while, but many times the problem will return. My 2009 went through two of them in 30k miles. The clutch switch can also fail in the same manner. They have a hole in them that allows dirt and water to get into the switch, and it hangs out in the airstream. I suspect that contributes to their high failure rate.

Here is a cutaway view of one in case you want to see how they are built and how they work.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
68,000 n mine took a crap $14 from dealer and 10 minutes to swap out. Still wondering how long it was bad ?! I use front brake alot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts