GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed the front brake pads? Without a service manual I can't figure it out. The older models were so easy to change. please post a video if you have one.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
No video to post, but I will go over the basics, and a few disclaimers.... There are two bolts holding the calipers on that you will need to remove. Slide the calipers off the rotors. clean up the brake dust and crud. compress the pistons. The pads have ears top and bottom that fit into clips molded into the calipers. slide each pad one at a time to the center to un-clip and remove. There is a spring the pads press into to keep the ears firm on the clips. insert each pad reverse of how you removed them, Once the pads are in, return the calipers to the rotors and install the bolts to 31 ftlb.

Disclaimers:

Putting in new pads may end up over filling fluid reservoirs if the reservoirs were filled to the upper marks with warn (thin) pads. This can be avoided if reservoirs are nearly empty before reseting caliper pistons and re-filled with new pads fully installed and seated.
I am also not actually performing the work, nor am I actually giving you full instructions. These are highlights to allow someone mechanically inclined to be able to figure it out. If any of this does not make any sense, then stop, have the service done or wait for the service manual to arrive. The service manual contains the actual and full instructions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that sounds very easy. I haven’t removed the calipers as yet, but that makes sense. I was confused when I didn’t see a pin to remove.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I suggest getting the shop manual for starters. I also highly recommend Fred Harmon's videos and Cruiseman's videos. Both are excellent and you learn different things by watching both of them. I purchased both. With the shop manual, those videos and the right tools there really is nothing you can't do.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
Fred Harmon's video series covers this for the 2018/2019.

prs

·
Registered
612 Posts
Has anyone changed the front brake pads? Without a service manual I can't figure it out. The older models were so easy to change. please post a video if you have one.
Fred H did a video on this but it’s part of his maintenance series so you’ll need to buy in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts