GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front Brake Pulsating UPDATE

I have an 02 non ABS goldwing. I have been having a problem when you put the front brake on hard, the brakes pulsate. I have replaced the pads and flushed the brake fluid with no help. It almost feels like a warped rotor on a car. Is it possible that a rotor can warp on a bike? If so is there any place to get the rotors turned or checked. Thanks for any replies. Bob

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Very unusual on a Gold Wing, so something is definitely not right. Yep, they can warp, but that is unusual also. Hope someone else can give you some advice.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Isn't the rotor supposed to be of a "floating" design? If the rotor isn't allowed to float on the mounting brackets, it won't center properly and could cause pulsating.

Offhand, warped rotors on a motorcycle are quite rare.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have a close look at the contact surfaces of each rotor. Run your hands over them as well checking for variences in texture.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm not any sort of expert here...but one additional idea...could the caliper sliders need to be lubricated?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Isn't the rotor supposed to be of a "floating" design? If the rotor isn't allowed to float on the mounting brackets, it won't center properly and could cause pulsating.

Offhand, warped rotors on a motorcycle are quite rare.
The brake caliper floats. The dual rotors are fixed .

You can take the brake calipers off, so the front wheel will free wheel and give it a good spin, stand in front of the wheel and observe the rotors , if warped you can see it by eye.

Want to get shade tree advanced, sit a concrete block by the front tire, get a pencil, spin the wheel and place the pencil gently on the rotor while it spins, if warped you will be able to tell.

Wanna get real scientific, put a run out gauge on it. Clamp it to the fork, bungee the front bars real good and tight, spin the wheel and see what the gauge tells you........or use a shop jig.........

Just offhand I would suspect the rotors need to be honed. Stone them, rough them up, clean well, install all with new pads and let them wear to each other. Just a guess for now.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
usually a rotor that does this is bent and the culprit is generally someone who doesn't know what they are doing while they are changing out a tire on the rim has put undue pressure in one spot or they have dropped the wheel on the floor and it has been bent. :wrong:Not that rare. A runout gauge ( that's not the right name for it, but I don't know the right name!) may be needed to figure out which side it is... You will need a new rotor as they can't be turned. sorry, dude...:shrug:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
usually a rotor that does this is bent and the culprit is generally someone who doesn't know what they are doing while they are changing out a tire on the rim has put undue pressure in one spot or they have dropped the wheel on the floor and it has been bent. :wrong:Not that rare. A runout gauge ( that's not the right name for it, but I don't know the right name!) may be needed to figure out which side it is... You will need a new rotor as they can't be turned. sorry, dude...:shrug:
Kit beat me... Listen to him he is a smart guy!:yes1:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Motorcycle rotors can warp or become "groved", and due to their difference in thickness (compared to an auto disc) no reputable shop will turn them. Sorry. If the pulsing is light, you CAN live with it. Have a good Honda Dealer check out your whole brake system.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Two other tidbits. It is unusual for our rotors to get bent BUT very easy to bend the soft aluminum cages or crowns upon which they ride. These can be easily bend when changing tires or transporting the rims to the tire shop and back.

NOW for sure get down and look at your rotor cages. They have a directional arrow on them just like the rims do (at least the OE ones do) and IF you get them switched left to right and visa-versa the brakes definitely pulse big time!

An '02 that has not had the caiper slide pins re-lubed will be bone dry as well.

prs

S

·
0 Posts
I had this exact same issue at 60K. It was the standard disc pulse one gets with cars once the rotors wear. Mine was self induced by bending a disk while changing the tire. The bend was only .005 but enough to cause the pulsing.
I tried to straighten it out but only succeeded in a mild improvement. I opted for the gold scalloped rotors from Dennis Kirk. So far almost another 60k and they are still fine.
Option #2 is to grab a used set at a salvage yard. Most of the rotors Honda uses are interchangeable so you may be able to pick up a pair for $100 or so. Even aftermarket are $300+ so it's not a cheap fix. OEM are probably in the $500 range.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Free dial indicator.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rotors

OK I think I must have a warped rotor so I found a set in Ca. with low miles. Is there a torq spec for the rotor bolts? And is there a pattern for retorqing them. I think as long as I have it apart I will throw in some new wheel bearings also. Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts