GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam replacing my front rotors because I have 1 warped. I dont have a service manual, I just want to know what the tightning order and torque specs are. Also what locktite do you use on the bolts? Thanks Bob

·
DSI Keeper
9,167 Posts
I am not sure about bolt tightening sequence but I do know that new bolts come with some kind of thread locker compound on the threads. If you decide to go with re-using your old bolts and want to use a thread locker, make sure that it is the kind that will allow you to remove the bolts next time they come off.

Personally, I don't use any locktite compound when I reinstall those bolts. YMMV

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had to replace mine last year. I'm sorry I don't remember the details because I just looked them up at the time. But I can tell you it was extremely easy. I had no trouble at all and I had minimal tools to work with.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Typical criss cross pattern with 14 foot pounds each. Bear in mind, they are stretch bolts and the manual calls for new ones (just CYA for me). Forgot, use the "locktite" that's on them already.

·
Vendor
17,792 Posts
A criss cross pattern works well for torqueing those. Use Honda's red thread locker. Most reuse the bolts and yes the Service Manual calls for new ones everytime. If it where my bike, or I was repairing someone elses having a warpped rotor problem, new bolt would be part of my parts order and I would replace them. No thread locker is needed then with new bolts.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rotor

Ok thanks for the info. I guess I will bite the bullet and order new bolts. Honda is sure proud of them @ 3.50 ea. Thanks Bob

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
The "thread lock" agent on the rotor bolts from Honda and apparently other brands as well is not red LocTite. It is not LocTite at all. It is a non anerobic plastic that is pre-applied to the bolts and cured before use. If you are looking for a substitute agent, perhaps "Vibra-Tite VC-3" is an appropriate choice, perhaps the same agent. I also suggest using new hardware here, but also agree that the residual agent on used bolts would be effective for another use or maybe two.

Are you sure the rotor is warped, or is the support crown bent? I believe one of our members had succes in carefully straightening the support crown.

prs

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

If you plan on doing this level of service on your bike you really, really, really, ought to get the service manual.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The "thread lock" agent on the rotor bolts from Honda and apparently other brands as well is not red LocTite. It is not LocTite at all. It is a non anerobic plastic that is pre-applied to the bolts and cured before use. If you are looking for a substitute agent, perhaps "Vibra-Tite VC-3" is an appropriate choice, perhaps the same agent.
I don't think it could possibly be VC-3. Not on rotors. That stuff has a very low temperature rating.

More likely it's thread locker encapsulated in microballoons . Something like this, but maybe with an even higher temperature rating.

http://www.bradleygroupcoatings.com/...php?prod_id=51

Substituting something for what Honda uses could be trouble in this rather demanding application. New Honda bolts in clean good condition female threads, installed at the specified torque, will work. Other things - you take your chances. As infrequently as you're going to remove rotors, why take a chance?

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
New Honda bolts in clean good condition female threads, installed at the specified torque, will work.
Of course. But if you just replace them with any old unpedigreed junk you can rummage up at Big Al's Hardware then you have more money to spend on important stuff - like extra long straws for your Butler cup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts