GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my 2001, and my best buddies 2001 Wings have notorious brake squeal from the front brakes only, just as you come to a stop. Really hate it when we are pulling up to a light and there are a couple of Harleys looking at us, as the brakes squeal like hell!:shock: Brakes are in good shape, Honda pads, caliper pins serviced and lubed, and no difference before or after brakes done. Anybody else have this irritating brake squeal?

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Me too on my '06. If I drop the wheel and remove the pads and clean them (and the calipers), the squeal will go away for a while but it always come back. :x

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Clean your rotors after spraying Honda cleaner or such. For a more permanent cure remove and clean the backs of the brake pads and apply brake quiet to them. Brake quiet type products are sold at all auto parts store. I did that to my daughter's Suzuki last Sunday.

prs

·
Love The DCT
11,780 Posts
Both my 2001, and my best buddies 2001 Wings have notorious brake squeal from the front brakes only, just as you come to a stop. Really hate it when we are pulling up to a light and there are a couple of Harleys looking at us, as the brakes squeal like hell!:shock: Brakes are in good shape, Honda pads, caliper pins serviced and lubed, and no difference before or after brakes done. Anybody else have this irritating brake squeal?
My 2001 was just the opposite. The rear brakes were the ones that were constantly squealing when stopping.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just worked on mine this weekend for the exact same reason. Front brakes would squeal when coming to a stop.

Dropped the pads like others here suggested. Cleaned them up with brake cleaner. Then applied some Disc Brake Quiet (http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=05017&S=N). I found the Disc Brake Quiet at my local auto parts store.

The material sprays on, then dries to a tacky rubber like consistency. Applied to the back of the pads, it's supposed to absorb vibration of the metal backing plate, and thus eliminate squeak. They also make a version in a tube, kind of like toothpaste. You spread it on and let it tack up, rather than spraying it on. Either should work fine.

It worked, no more squeaks. I also pulled, cleaned, and treated the rear pads while I was at it.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
370 Posts
You can use Elmers glue on the back of the brake pads.I put blue dye in it to make me feel better about using it

·
Registered
261 Posts
The fronts on my '07 also squeal,, but not as bad as you're stating here.... The dealership mechanic couldn't help me,,,, he had no idea....
After reading several of the above posts,,, I'm going to try some of that "stop squealing stuff" and see if it works.... If it does,, I'll be the first one to the dealership to let them know... ... Thanks Al :yes::yes::yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts