GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some hard riding in the twisties in NC and now the brake lever for the front brake feels like an on/off switch. Brakes are working but cannot be modulated. Does this sound like a brake caliper has seized?

Thank you for your assistance.:bow:

·
Vendor
18,404 Posts
You mean they lock up and release? Not sure I understand what you mean by no modulation. Can you not softly apply them?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brake lever action is very stiff and hard. It makes it very difficult to perform light braking with the hand lever. Does this help?

·
Vendor
18,404 Posts
Yes ... that helps. With the brake off, does it feel like any of the brakes are still applied? Another words does it coast like norrmal?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coasts ok, I don't think the brake is not releasing. Could it maybe that I boiled the brake fluid? Never had that before, I don't know what that feels like.

·
Vendor
18,404 Posts
Not an air/boiling symptom .... that is more of a brake fade feel. It sounds like you are able to pull on the front brake lever, it goes hard, but no front braking .... is that correct?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Sticking master piston?

Hydraulics blocked, fluid flow at master restricted??

·
Vendor
18,404 Posts
Thats what I am thinking too. If he has basically no front brakes then the next step would be to crack the brake line at the master cylinder and see what happens when he pulls the lever. Put a tray or something under the brake line first so that you protect your shelter. If you crack the line and pull the lever, the lever should fade quickly. If not, replace the master cylinder. Probably not even worth trying to OH it.

How long has it been since the rest of the brake system was flushed? That is required every 12k.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg,

Yes, I have to squeeze the lever quite hard before the brakes activate, and then they work almost too much. Are maybe pads and rotor overly glazed?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the bike last year with 15000 miles on it. I have sincce then added 11000 miles to it and was planning to replace the fluid anyway. Good place to start?

·
Vendor
18,404 Posts
I bought the bike last year with 15000 miles on it. I have sincce then added 11000 miles to it and was planning to replace the fluid anyway. Good place to start?
Don't do post #8 yet. Does it take a while for the pads to relax (bike able to coast) after you release the frt lever? Or does the release seem normal?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems normal.

I will have to check your response later on at home. Thank you for your help so far. ;)

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greg,

Any further advice on how to proceed?

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys,

I haven't had any further replies so the bike is scheduled for the brake fluid replacement next week.

Any other advice?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
No cause it can be so many things.

Have them check the master cylinder.

Could be the caliper pistons not wanting to expand evenly and apply even brake pressure.

Could be simply pads worn, and or glazed rotors .

My suspicion is the master push rod , cylinder, whatever you want to call it is sticking, or seals gone, or something. Nothing stopped up as the brakes are releasing, just not wanting to apply. Source of the problem seems to be at the master.

Fluid change is good, but even with air it is not a hard push, just slack or spongy, so something else is up with the hard pull on the brake lever. Working properly gentle two finger use on the front brake should easily slow and stop the bike. With ease. Has to be at the master or some type of stoppage not allowing the hydraulic action to push the caliper pistons. Even with air, glazed rotors, low pads, the brake action should not be hard at the lever.

But it is all in the interpretation, without riding the bike, just guessing.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Do you have custom levers installed? Some are known to stick. Picture here:

·
Registered
878 Posts
If it were my bike the master cylinder would opened up for some serious inspection... If the rod shows any sign of rubbing on it, I would strongly consider a replacement master... If it looks good, then likley a really good cleaning and rebuild would do the trick...

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank You

Thank you for all the replies. Great suggestions!

So here is how it got fixed: Front brake felt better after the brake fluid flush but the lever still felt difficult to apply moderately. So I did something very simple and lubed the lever (OEM). Bingo, all fixed! Glad I did not have have to touch the master brake cylinder etc. after all.

Thanks again...:bow:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts