GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my bike was down with the starting problem that Techdude was so helpful in getting fixed, I decided to replace my front brakes. Now the bike won't move because the brakes are locked onto the rotor. I removed the brakes and it rolls, I put one side back on and they are clamped to the rotor. The pads are in place correctly and the calipers are completely compressed. The only conclusion I have is that the new pads are too thick. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
There is a left, right and rear part # for the pads. The OEM rear pads are about twice as thick as the fronts.

If the pads are in correct and slide freely, pucks are compressed and release, I can't see what the problem is.

Good Luck

Bulldog

·
DSI Keeper
9,168 Posts
Too much fluid?
I hate to say this but perhaps too little knowledge to work on brakes. I don't mean that in a bad way. Only something like this, it would be nice to have someone who has some experience with working on brakes, watch over you. These are the most important thing on the bike. Not much room for a mistake. Heck, we have heard the stories where the pads were falling out from bikes the dealer did.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand what you're saying, but this is one of the few things I have done several times. I have made mistakes, but I have learned from them. I am pretty confident I have done everything right. I think it's this aftermarket pad that's not right. And I am not offended at all by what you're saying, I agree for most cases of repairing the bike.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what happened...... I bought a set of three brake pads. Although they looked the same, one set was slightly thicker - the rear set. I had put that set on the front and it was too thick. I have them rearranged and all is good! Thank you for your thoughts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.