GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have 40k on mine right now. Just put a new tire on and was prepared to replace them but they had a lot of pad left. So for me I probably have about another 20k for a guesstimate. I am on by second set of rears though.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
What mileage do you usualy get out of your front breaks on a trike?

You know that's a pretty good question. I've heard anywhere from 10,000 up to 25,000 no ryhme or reason and not based on the type of Trike. In the north where ride season is from say March to October the best rule of thumb is have the entire vehicle checked over just before riding begins for the year. In warmer climates where guys like George Patrick can ride 360 days a year:bow: probably have them checked every other oil change. or at least every 10,000 miles.......... what say the rest of ya'?

B

·
0 Posts
I replaced the left front pads at 28,000. The right front were fine. I now have almost 50,000 and it looks like time for the rights, so I will probably replace both before going to Texas.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I changed both when I put on the Metzler Lazertec. I had 41K on them. One was pretty well beat up from gravel getting between it and the disc. I put Honda OEM on as I was not sure what the "best pad" is....it works fine.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Unless your breaks have been unlinked, check the left side because thats the one linked to the rear.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Just replaced mine at 27K - left side was paper thin, totally shot, and right side was about a third remaining. In the scheme of things, looks like I will replace the brake linings with the front tire.......Get about 25K out of each.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Have 40,000 on mine and will be checking them out later in the week. Changed oil/filter today and started a lighting project on my Royal Star. Can only do so much in a day. Probably could do more if I would stay off the board more.
Nawwwwwwwwwwww. Might miss something!:roll:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Good point JR&JR........... but I only use my right foot on the right lower brake pedal...:shrug: :joke:
If that is the yardstick, Wheels has lifetime brakes.....:cool:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I reveresed the line and only use the hand brake but it puts moore on the rear than the front. I will have it checked at the next oil change. I have 18,00 miles on it now.:yes1:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just something to consider. Given that I have little use for the foot brake as well, I decided to unlink the system and ran an automotive break line from the handlebar master cylinder back to the rear brakes. I can lock them (the rear) up if need be and with just under 16" of rubber back there, I have plenty of stopping power. Always said that if "that" does not stop me, I was in trouble anyway.

I use to run the "entire" system off the handlebars, but after "sliding through" a few intersections with not having enough braking, I decided that something needed to be changed. It was a very simple fix and I would be happy to walk you through it if you like. Just give me a holler.

The new system that Harry posted a few weeks ago is a sharp looking set up, but I am trying to keep the bike as close to "original" as possible and the cost of the darn thing is a little much for me.

With the Drum brakes on the back, all is well.

70K on both the front and rears. Front still has a lot of life left in them.;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no trouble stopping and I can lock the back tires up. The installer said he slide the back tires and told me to try and it will slide them. :yes1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts