GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there one brand of the front lower cowl better than the others ?
I'm looking to buy a new one for the front. One of the shinney chrome ones. And there are a few out there, I was just wondering if some were better than others ? :roll:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
cowl

I have read that some holes do not line up properly on the aftermarket cowls. I have the hondaline which lined up perfectly, they are a pita anyway to install, so why make it harder? Get the hondaline.
JD 8)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I bought the one from VP Accessories with the foglights already installed in it. After I figured out that there were different length bolts in that cowl, it went on pretty easy. A short bolt where a long one is supposed to go doesn't work.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mike,

Whichever one you choose, make sure that you protect your timing gear cover. Seems like it is the cowl installation that marks the cover up.

Put a couple layers of wide tape at the top of the timing gear cover. This should save you a cuss word or two and maybe even your cover.

Bulldog

·
Registered
276 Posts
...and hey if the old timing cover gets scratched upa bit you can always replace it with a chrome one...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Hello Mike Here is what I have found

I have the Honda chrome one & Holly has the VP chrome one. Know what the difference is NONE. The VP one is a LOT less money. I think Val will through in the chrome timeing cover also. If you want to come on over to the house & take a look for your self.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Chrome cowl

Here is how I handled the plain jane lower cowl and exhaust covers.

:D

Jerry

·
Registered
2021 Red/Black Goldwing Tour DCT
720 Posts
Jerry........

Jerry :clap2: That is one sweet looking bike.. :s27:

The real Ed Norton :a13:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks

Thanks guys. I plan on having it about 8-10 more months. By then Honda should have the Pearl Blue 2005 SE ready to market. <BSEG> Have already given my order to the local dealer. Don't know why Honda just ran the Pearl Blue for one year unless it was to prep me for the 2005 model.

Jerry

·
Registered
136 Posts
Watch out for "Show Chrome". I had to do alot of filing to get it installed. Took several hours of tweaking. Best to go with the Honda on this one.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I bought mine from Hal, I don't remember what brand it was. It installed with no sweat, I just lined the bolts up as I took them out, and kept them in order. No problems!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts