GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20000 mile 01 I bought 3000 miles ago. I was told it had the 15k service done and I believe that to be true.
My issue is that when I hit bumps it makes a squeaking noise and it feels harse as well.
Is it possible that the fork oil is over filled? How would I check it? Or take a little out?
I no nothing about the forks and how they operate etc.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
582 Posts
Look up posts about the Anti-dive valve sticking and how to repair or disable it.
RogerB

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a 20000 mile 01 I bought 3000 miles ago. I was told it had the 15k service done and I believe that to be true.
My issue is that when I hit bumps it makes a squeaking noise and it feels harse as well.
Is it possible that the fork oil is over filled? How would I check it? Or take a little out?
thanks in advance
Checking it is mildly difficult. You need the top caps removed, the springs out, and the fork fully compressed. I think it's actually easier to get there by removing the forks from the bike, which also removes the problem that, on the bike, they're tilted.

Another cause for this is a stuck anti-dive valve. That's a fairly common problem on an older GL1800.

Changing the fork oil is not listed as routine maintenance in the Honda manual, so it may not have been done. With 20,000 on the bike you should do it, or have it done, for sure. It would be better to open the fork up and check the bushings also. The forks on the GL1800 are marginal anyway, and maintenance is frequently neglected. A number of people in this thread don't think the forks need maintenance unless they leak.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259894

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
I wonder if the squeaking noise is as bad as the one the Victory had in the video clip?

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
On an earlier GL1800 that sounds like a bad ADV (anti dive valve). It job is to keep the bike level while braking. On a GL1800 we have an intigrated braking system as well as an integrated suspension system. The ADV is the link between the brakes and the suspension system. It locks the LF fork from up/down travel while braking. It's Honda's way of controlling nose diving and keeping a large contact patch on the rear tire instead of allowing the front contact patch to get really large and the rear to get small. This becomes important under certain handling conditions.

Yours is probably suck at times or all the time. When it rides harsh, you can tell if the ADV is bad by applying the front brake. A stuck one will not allow the handle bars (or forks) to move up and down. What should be happening is that to forks lock when braking and immedeatly release once releasing the brakes.

To test, bring the bike to a complete stop (front tire cannot be rolling). Apply the front brake lever and rock weight forward and aft. The forks should move up and down freely. If not, you have a bad ADV. It is part #31.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2001&fveh=3497

And get 2 of #17 (sorry wrong pix but same crush washers).
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

And a couple bottles of Dot 4 brake fluid. A bad ADV is a indication that the system was not flushed often enough. You should flush the front, rear, brake system and the clutch system. Then make sure flushing is done every 12k.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Honda's service interval does not mention fork service and even though your older bike is of fairly low milage, from a practical point of view it is ready for fork service and fresh upgraded springs. My '02 had sacked springs up front at only 12,000 miles! I recommend that you go with linear springs of heavier weight, replace both coated bushing in each fork leg and use fresh medium weight fork oil (15 grade or 10 grade) and disable teh AD valve. The rough ride may be due to sacked springs as well sticky AD valve. Search the threads on all these topics I mentioned and you will get the 911 and rational. I would not go Traxxion or even RaceTech emulators until doing those simple things first as most of the difference will be gained at little cost to you. None of the work is difficult other than getting the hex bolt in the bottom of the cartridge fork (right fork) to release from the cartridge threads; impact is the key to that. Read-up and make an informed decision.

Now, so far as the service bieng done before, I would take that with a big grain of salt and repeat it myself.

prs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had similar issues - this is what I did

I bought a 2002 with 10K miles 2 years ago. Previously I had a ST1100 with progressive springs and did not feel the bumps and potholes as I was doing on the GL1800. Several forum memebrs recommended Traxxion suspension service. Due to lack of funds I did not go through the entire package. With recommedation from folks at Traxxion (absolutely courteous and professional) I did the trimmed down version about 1 year ago. I have ridden the bike about 6000 miles after the traxxion upgrade and have been extremly pleased with this. The following were done on my bike and you can check the latest prices on their website. (it cost me arount $1400+ travel)

1) Fork Spring Kit by Traxxion Dynamics, Honda GL1800
2) Install Traxxion Fork Spring Kit (Includes full fork service, cleaning, and inspecting) 3) O.E.M. Fork Seals (pair)
4) O.E.M Fork Bushings
5) Remove and replace the front forks
6) Traxxion GL1800 shock
7) Steel Braided Line - GL1800 Preload Adjuster
8) Install rear shock

I live in richmond and I rode down to Atlanta for a day to get this done. If you are near to Atlanta, look on their website for other locations.

Bottomline, if Traxxion is not doable, then look at other vendors who do similar work. My wife and I have not felt a bump or pothole since we got this done.
Good luck :?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I bought a 2002 with 10K miles 2 years ago. Previously I had a ST1100 with progressive springs and did not feel the bumps and potholes as I was doing on the GL1800. Several forum memebrs recommended Traxxion suspension service. Due to lack of funds I did not go through the entire package. With recommedation from folks at Traxxion (absolutely courteous and professional) I did the trimmed down version about 1 year ago. I have ridden the bike about 6000 miles after the traxxion upgrade and have been extremly pleased with this. The following were done on my bike and you can check the latest prices on their website. (it cost me arount $1400+ travel)

1) Fork Spring Kit by Traxxion Dynamics, Honda GL1800
2) Install Traxxion Fork Spring Kit (Includes full fork service, cleaning, and inspecting) 3) O.E.M. Fork Seals (pair)
4) O.E.M Fork Bushings
5) Remove and replace the front forks
6) Traxxion GL1800 shock
7) Steel Braided Line - GL1800 Preload Adjuster
8) Install rear shock

I live in richmond and I rode down to Atlanta for a day to get this done. If you are near to Atlanta, look on their website for other locations.

Bottomline, if Traxxion is not doable, then look at other vendors who do similar work. My wife and I have not felt a bump or pothole since we got this done.
Good luck :?
Good advice. Note that fork oil, bushings, seals, and springs can be done for about $250 in parts, maybe $150 in labor, if you pull the forks yourself, $250 if you don't. By most any shop. The expensive part of the work above was the rear shock.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Good advice. Note that fork oil, bushings, seals, and springs can be done for about $250 in parts, maybe $150 in labor, if you pull the forks yourself, $250 if you don't. By most any shop. The expensive part of the work above was the rear shock.
That's kinda high. I do a complete fork job for $200 and I supply the parts. Oil, seals and bushings run about $120 (used to be less than $100) and if you do OEM springs add $70. I make $80 for the job and I'm done in about 90 minutes.

Easiest way to do it is remove, service and replace one fork at a time. That way, the tree stays lined up and all the cables and whatnot stay put.

PS: Trikes need service often because of the rake kit.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have an 03 & had the front springs & bushings replaced at 70k miles with Race Tech. Far cheaper price than Traxxion & I'm totally satisfied with the smoother ride. Should of done this much earlier. Your Gw even though it has low miles the OEM springs are totally worn out.

S

·
0 Posts
thanks in advance
The squeak - or chirp is the ADV which is stuck closed and the noise is caused by oil being forced through the small gap in the ADV valve seat.
Defiantly do away with the ADV and life will be grand. Don't worry about the oil level or any of that - it is the valve.

Also don't get all hung up on aftermarket front suspension parts - the stock bushing are Teflon coated and will last 10 year or 150k. The only time you should even check the oil or change is when the top seals need replacing (100k)
Your problem can be fixed for exactly 5 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts