GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've search and searched and have not seen anyone post about a front end chirp on the 2018s yet. I'm guessing it's just a shock noise I hear as the dealership believes it's normal. Going over quick bumps it chirps. It's annoying. I think I can recreate the noise parked by aggressively compressing the front suspension. I say"I think"because it's a lower frequency as I cannot compress the shock as quickly as the road can. The noise I can recreate parked I can recreate on new bikes in the showroom at dealership. Using my mechanic stethoscope the parked noise seems to be coming from the shock body. I'll try to film it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
It might be the shock bottoming hitting the bump stop.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've search and searched and have not seen anyone post about a front end chirp on the 2018s yet. I'm guessing it's just a shock noise I hear as the dealership believes it's normal. Going over quick bumps it chirps. It's annoying. I think I can recreate the noise parked by aggressively compressing the front suspension. I say"I think"because it's a lower frequency as I cannot compress the shock as quickly as the road can. The noise I can recreate parked I can recreate on new bikes in the showroom at dealership. Using my mechanic stethoscope the parked noise seems to be coming from the shock body. I'll try to film it. Thanks in advance.

Josh, you may want to PM MENGY about this too. He is a former Harley rider. I know the Harleys could produce a chirp at times. It was found to be coming from the rubber mufflers mounts, or something like that. If they got loose and were not mounted correctly it would cause a chirp sometimes.

I mention this because there may be somewhere on the new Wings where a rubber mount might be the culprit.

I realize this is a far-fetched idea, and if I sound crazy to you, just disregard. But I alwways thought it was crazy that a rubber mount would be producing a "chirp", but it happened on one of my Road Kings, and I was a believer after that.

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
When you hear the chirp sound any chance you might be applying the brakes?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I get occasional Tupperware clunk noise on road bumps. It all seems to be installed correctly. If dry, I could see that chirping/squeaking. Maybe disassemble the front parts, coat with a slick product and reassemble. I have no real chirps that I can hear, but my chirp frequencies are not perfect.

prs

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I know it's a labor intensive, but to isolate, the shock can be removed. On cars, sometimes coil springs can squeak. They can slightly shift when going up/down. Also, anywhere there is a rubber bushing touching metal can squeak, such as shock mounts. Have you tried lubing the shock mounts with a silicon spray while bouncing ???

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Check your front fender and make sure it isn't loose.
What Fred said:
99% of the front fenders, forward bolts, were installed wrong by Honda going down the build line. They have screws with a shoulder holding them on and the nylon washer underneath them, gets trapped off center and destroys the washer, and in most cases deforms the hole in the fender too.:frown2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took videos but not sure how to attach them. Only allowing photos. May need to add to Instagram and link it. It isn't while braking. I will go over the fender again. While using a mechanics ear(basically a stethoscope with a metal rod on it) the noise transfers through most metal components of the moving suspention as expected but loudest when on the shock body. It maybe shock valve noise but odd nobody else is hearing it on theirs

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
I took videos but not sure how to attach them. Only allowing photos. May need to add to Instagram and link it. It isn't while braking. I will go over the fender again. While using a mechanics ear(basically a stethoscope with a metal rod on it) the noise transfers through most metal components of the moving suspention as expected but loudest when on the shock body. It maybe shock valve noise but odd nobody else is hearing it on theirs
No front end squeak or chirp here in 15k miles and I have ridden on some really rough, bumpy roads.

:doorag:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not hearing it. Just curious, are you riding without a helmet? That could be why you're more sensitive to noises.
I hear it with my half helmet and full face. Wind noise is bad in the moving one. If you crank the volume you will hear little chirping noises Everytime you see the suspention move. Very faint in video but only nose you hear while riding without music cranked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts