GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
"08" gl 1800
I've been running a Dunnlop winter 3D 195-55 in back with 40psi and had been running the OE in front, it had 12K on it, and had cupped moderatly and also wobbled when I took my hands off. I summed it up to the cupping, so I mounted a new Sort Demon with 40 psi. To my disapointment in wobbles even more violently:22yikes:, and I'm a bit disturbed about it. Not that I cruise with my hands off the bars, but I have zipped up my jacket a time or two. Has any one had to deal with the wobble?
thanks
tk

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Yes we have. I am putting new tires on next week and i will let you know, without doing anything else and see if takes the wobble out. Its at between 40 decelerating to about 25 mph. I have 14,000 miles on the originals. If it still does it i will put the all balls bearings on and see if that stops it.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
It seems that new tires always helps the wobble problem. Stones on the front for me and now after 8000 miles, the wobble is there but only lightly. The demon and some of the other deep treaded tires seem to cup easier, depending on air pressure, and that can add to your wobble.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wild Turkey

At the risk of sounding ignorant-What do you mean "put the all ball bearings on and see if that stops it"

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Wild Turkey

At the risk of sounding ignorant-What do you mean "put the all ball bearings on and see if that stops it"
All Balls are tapered roller bearings that go in the steering head to replace the ball bearing that Honda put in them at the factory. Some riders have cured the dreaded wobble by replacing the factory ball bearing with the tapered roller bearings, others have had no luck with them. I had the wobble with the OEM Dunflops, then none with a BS 709, came back with a Battlax real bad and none with the Sport Demon yet with 5 k on it.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Traxxion
Tappered bearing
and a 709 front tire...you 'll be good to go!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
40 PSI in the rear sounds like a lot to me. Try 28-32. I don't know if that will help the wobble,but I think you will like it better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started out with 32 psi in the wintersport and I thought it felt sqiggly. The Increased preasure gave it more of a MT feel. But now that I've put on a few thousand miles I'll play with it some.

Is there a way of tightening the steering head, back in the dirt bike days we would give it a snugging from time to time.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I would say that the Majority of the Wing owners, have the same! I do, when I take my hands off of the Bars....I plan to do nothing about it!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
The majority of Wing owner have the wobble because of inefficient OEM parts: suspension and steering bearing....Or, there is a design flaw we have not been made privy to know.

If that is your reasoning for not fixing it, then wobble away...

If you want your bike to operate correctly, you must make up by spending your money Honda saved putting sheeta parts prior to selling you the bike: An off market suspension improvement and tappered bearing, plus, avoid front Metz tires. The latter has a rep for promoting the wobblelinas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts