GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 when I bought it sight unseen from a Honda dealer I didn’t know it was a consignment bike. I guess since it was at a Honda dealer they would have done a decent inspection. Well on the ride home (90 miles) I noticed closer to home the front end had a slight wobble coasting to a stop. Maybe around 20-30 mph. After a while I took it to a independent shop to have it check and they finally came up with bent wheel. Had the wheel straightened and new tire and balance. Probably solved. Fast forward a little over a year and it’s coming back. Still the same coasting to a stop with clutch in no throttle. This time it starts over 30. Now it doesn’t wobble with hands holding to bars but when you release grip or take your hands off. Well I don’t take them off with this wobble. It’s worse then the first time. I’ve heard getting the forks rebuilt but after talking to a couple of shops including a Honda dealer yesterday they ask if the forks are leaking. NO. So they don’t think it’s the fork but dealer yesterday mentioned a couple other things but also said when the wheel is straightened it’s easier to bend again or out of balance. That kind of makes sense. Any thoughts before I pull the front wheel off to take it in to have it checked before having the forks worked on? Non of the shops felt the need to rebuild the forks. 47,000 miles and my guess never done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have your neck bearing replaced, that seems to help a lot of people with wobble.That is one of the weakest points on the Goldwing

·
Registered
793 Posts
2005 when I bought it sight unseen from a Honda dealer I didn’t know it was a consignment bike. I guess since it was at a Honda dealer they would have done a decent inspection. Well on the ride home (90 miles) I noticed closer to home the front end had a slight wobble coasting to a stop. Maybe around 20-30 mph. After a while I took it to a independent shop to have it check and they finally came up with bent wheel. Had the wheel straightened and new tire and balance. Probably solved. Fast forward a little over a year and it’s coming back. Still the same coasting to a stop with clutch in no throttle. This time it starts over 30. Now it doesn’t wobble with hands holding to bars but when you release grip or take your hands off. Well I don’t take them off with this wobble. It’s worse then the first time. I’ve heard getting the forks rebuilt but after talking to a couple of shops including a Honda dealer yesterday they ask if the forks are leaking. NO. So they don’t think it’s the fork but dealer yesterday mentioned a couple other things but also said when the wheel is straightened it’s easier to bend again or out of balance. That kind of makes sense. Any thoughts before I pull the front wheel off to take it in to have it checked before having the forks worked on? Non of the shops felt the need to rebuild the forks. 47,000 miles and my guess never done.

A buddy of mine just had his immaculately maintained Kawasaki C14 Concours break down in the middle of a trip from Alberta to Idaho. Same problem you're experiencing, front wheel wobble. The front wheel wobble has been diagnosed as a front wheel bearing failure. I'd get that checked first.

Tim

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It is a common problem. The common reply you will hear is "don't take your hands off the bars". But, it is still worisome to have an expensive bike act like that. I have bought 2 goldwings, brand new, and both have done it when the front tire gets over half worn and gets worse. The last time I put beads in the front and so far so good but it always goes away with a new front tire.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
It's a fairly common complaint about the wing. It's not a problem with the neck bearing, but you can make it go away by using the neck bearing like a poor man's stearing damper. For a more complete education Google deceleration wobble. You can read for months. Here's a hint. When your guys straightened the wheel, I bet you had a new front tire installed too.

Richard

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Put the bike on the centerstand and sit on itso the front tire is off the floor/pavement. Move the bars back and forth slightly. If there is a feeling like they want to stay or "return" to center straight ahead then the steering stem bearings are "notched" and at slow speeds you just naturally overcorrect steering at slow speeds such as starting out and/or coming to a stop. Mine is this way. New parts are on the bench for replacement after riding season is over. Drives straight and steady at speed, no wobble, so it's not a big issues now that I'm aware of it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No fork rebuild with 47,000 miles. I guess you know the answer to this......rebuild the forks for God's sake. The oil is spent. Like water, Grasshopper. Bearing check in both the headset and wheel. Balance the wheel. Make sure the wheel is straight. A little wobble is fine. I wish my 2001 didn't wobble a bit but I am lazier than most with my full time job and life.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Replace neck bearing with “All Balls” roller bearings... properly torqued, your problem is solved...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Also, what condition is the rear tire? Warn or cupped?

My advice would be it's time for a front fork service. Check the triple tree bearings for looseness. Also both front and rear tire conditions
and balance.
If the front wheel was indeed bent at one time, that's a red flag. By putting the bike on the center stand and jacking the front up enough to raise the front wheel off the ground... the wheel and tire can be rotated freely and any runout or alignment can be checked. May as well check the front wheel bearings also.
All of these are easy checks to get out of the way before delving deeper. :capwin:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Its surprising how many times a front wobble is cured when the rear tyre is replaced. I would revisit that front again and consider having a sticky beak at the rear.

·
Registered
930 Posts
It could be several things as mentioned above. On my 05 it was the steering bearings. I replaced them with All Balls tapered bearings and it solved the problem. Be sure to check everything out on the bike before replacing parts. Many people do that and waste money replacing parts that did not solve the problem.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Every single time I have had front wheel wobble it was fixed with tire replacement, usually the rear tire oddly enough. Initially, I thought it was the front tire when I had both tires replaced but two years later the wobble returned, but I noticed the rear tire needed replacing and when I did, the wobble disappeared. I had this happen numerous times with by '86 Aspencade and my 2015 AC. For me it is so consistent that replacing the rear tire is the first thing I think of now when I get the wobble. BTW-The rear tire usually has a very mild cupping when it replaced.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure why I didn’t get any notification. Brand new rear tire nothing changed. Front tire has maybe 1500-2000 and wear looks good. I’ll pull the tire off and take it in and ask them about some of these suggestions.

Thank you, if I get it done sooner than later I’ll give everyone a update.

·
Registered
42 Posts
what type of tire is on the front? i have had problems with brand new, dual compound tires. (harder rubber in the middle of the tire, softer rubber on the outer edges) drove me crazy. replaced the tires with no dual compound, problem gone. If that is not your issues, it is likely the steering stem bearings. replace with All Ballz tapered bearings.

·
Registered
411 Posts
All balls tapered bearings fixed mine. Same front tire, same rear tire, no balancing beads just stem bearings. Although I didn't have a previously bent rim. I know it's work you probably don't want to do yourself, but it's not that bad and you get to know your bike. And I absolutely don't trust the local Honda shop.

Reactions: snickle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I finally took it to a Honda dealership in town. Unbelievable! They just called said they can’t duplicate the wobble! I can do it in the parking lot. Now I have to figure out how to record the bars while recording with my phone and hopefully not throw me off with the wobble!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
A typical Honda answer!! Oh Boy some things never change, change the steering stem bearings, bite the bullet..that is the only cure for your wobble..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts