GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several posts about the rear portion of the front fender cracking etc but none on the front portion of the front fender.

Has anyone had this problem? If so what was the cost to replace? Can you buy them already painted (03 candy red)

TIA

·
Registered
10 Posts
8) I just had the dealer change mine out because it had a large scratch when I got the bike, They cost approx 350.00 and do come painted. When I ordered it they ask me if I just wanted to take the new one home and change it or do I want them to. I should have done it, Then I would have had a spare.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have had the front of the front fender crack. No idea why. There is no stress there, and no contact with the forks. My crack runs down from the bottom bolt to the bottom of the fender. The only cause I can think of is the lower bolt was done too tight, and put stress on the fender.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron, that is where mine is too, like you I am stumped as there is no "load" placed on this at all. In addition I have additional support from the bracket under the front fendor that my chrome fendor trim mounts to and was very surprised to see this crack :roll:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am guessing that someone pinched the plastic with the shoulder of the bolt when tightening instead of jiggling the fender around as you slowly tighten the bolt to center the hole on the shoulder.

The price depends on you color and ranges from $190 to over $250.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MotorcycleBoy said:
I am guessing that someone pinched the plastic with the shoulder of the bolt when tightening instead of jiggling the fender around as you slowly tighten the bolt to center the hole on the shoulder.

The price depends on you color and ranges from $190 to over $250.
Nope......any other thoughts?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
how about just replacing the bolt too tight. I'm pretty sure that is what has happened on my rear.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oldguy said:
how about just replacing the bolt too tight. I'm pretty sure that is what has happened on my rear.
Well I would have thought the same thing but this bolt is a "shoulder bolt" in that it is designed to seat against the base and because of that you can't over tighten it. It has a rubber grommet on the surface next to the fender as well. Go figure I guess.

At any rate I guess I'll just have to bit the bullet, I looked it up and looks like about $213 for my color.

Just don't want it to happen again. This one lasted 46,000 miles so hopefully the new one will last as long.

Be safe.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts