GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: Has anyone else had multiple front fender cracks? I had a "pre-brace" Bushteck long extension that made the aft section of the front fender crack. Honda replaced it under warranty, and now at 60K miles (and a shorter Kurry extension) the right side chrome cover cracked and the tabs on the painted aft section snapped on a ride yesterday. Disassembling it today I found the left chrome section cracking as well. Any ideas? Does anyone have a high milage bike with successfull front fender extension? Thanks and ride safe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The cracks I have on my front fender were caused from the mechanic at honda not knowing or giving a crap about bolt location and rubber washer location when I had my brake valve recall done.
I used black RTV to repair the cracked bolt holes,12K AGO.
RTV REQUIRES 7 DAYS TO FULLY CURE.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Since Honda offers an official Honda Fender extension as a dealer installed option I do not believe that the addition of a fender extension can be blamed for the cracks. The blame is faulty/poor Honda engineering in the design of the rear front fender. Honda should step up to the plate and offer free, redesigned rear front fenders or offer free replacement for the life of the bike. This dishing out more than $200 dollars every couple of years for a body part that should not need replacing except in the event of a crash is ridiculous. The rear front fender on the '01 to '05 GL1800's is a real POS. Why don't we organize a rear front fender demonstration day where as many of us as can will go to our Honda dealers on a pre-arranged day and file a complaint. Maybe the mass submission of literally thousands of identical complaints within a 12 hour period will get something done. Has anyone else ever had a bike that needed to have a fender replaced on a regular basis? I have never heard of one.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
161,600 + smiles on a show chrome front fender extension, trouble free and more than 10,000 of those miles were on gravel roads

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
There's been many posts for the very same problem on here!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Are the cracking front fenders a result of the infamous wobble problem? Is the front fender issue already being addressesd by the wobble lawyers?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have 122,000 on my 02 nearly all with the fender extension and no cracks. My wife has about 33,000 on her 03 and no cracks. I don't remember what kind of fender extensions they are but I know her fender extension is longer than mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts