GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was doing some routine maintenance on the wing and removed the chrome side fender covers on the front tire. When I removed the right side one of the chrome mounting bolts that attach to the rear section of the fender was broken loose. I have no idea how it happened or when but i am considering replacing the rear section of the fender to make sure the side cover doesn't vibrate the other bolt and break the other bolt off.

I have checked ebay for a black and no joy there. Does anyone know where to find a nice rear section of the front fender color BLACK?? I really hate to to buy one then have to pay to have it painted also. Is there a bone yard for bikes I can check??

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Bolt broken?? Replace the bolt......fender tab broken?? Get a scrap of ABS at a hobby store and practice melting 3/4 inch lengths of copper wire into the plastic, when you feel ready, use an electric solder iron and melt the pieces together and imbed several sections of wire into the patch across the break. On the chrome?? Forget it, plastic chrome just no hope.

S

·
0 Posts
Broken tabs are pretty common. Most of the time you run through just a dab of wet tar and your tire will pick up a good size stone which will roll around with the tire and force the fender out breaking the tabs.
I had this happen and did the fix like Kit suggested yet it just picked up another rock and broke again.

I ended up just building a new front fender set out of steel so now that problems is gone for good.

Your options are to fix or pay hundreds for a good used one. Don't worry about color - just paint it is the best. Chances are if you get a used one it will need some touch up anyway.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I had a tab break on my rear fender
I used ABS glue from Oatley in the light blue can to glue the pieces back together to the fender,after the tab was set up and cured I used a plastic epoxy to thicken or beef up the tabs on the inside where the epoxy doesn't show.I made this repair in 07' or 08' and it's still a good solid repair.

·
Registered
21,052 Posts
fixed mine with some $50 3m epoxy i got from Carquest, a guy that owns a body shop told me about it, its made for fixing ABS, wow it is easy, fast and strong !! that was about 75,000 miles ago and its been holding up fine :thumbup:

i used the same stuff to repair the rear half of the fender when it broke about a month ago, i am pretty confident its going to hold, its amazingly strong stuff :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts