GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Bushtec color matched fender extension. Yesterday talking to the tech's at my favorite dealer, they asked what kind of extension I was installing, as some have had proublems with the fender mounting tabs breaking after a extension was installed. The Bushtec comes with two metal reinforcing brackets. The plan is to glue it on and no bolts at the bottom, but to use the brackets installed as they discribe.
The question is has anyone put one of these on their bike and are there any pitfalls that I need to be awhere of? Any pointers will be excepted with thanks. :?:

Scotty

G

·
I am not sure, but I think for the best result you have to tap the fender boss and install the two encluded bolts. Once I found someone with a tap and die set, it did not take long. Made a noticeable firmer fender. I like it. I agree, that you should let it cure for the 72 hours as noted. I took mine inside and let it cure in the warm house instead of the cold garage.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ditto on following the instrutions, very easy. Important that you allow it to cure for 72 hours at 70F, after that enjoy!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Scotty said:
I just received my Bushtec color matched fender extension. Yesterday talking to the tech's at my favorite dealer, they asked what kind of extension I was installing, as some have had proublems with the fender mounting tabs breaking after a extension was installed. The Bushtec comes with two metal reinforcing brackets. The plan is to glue it on and no bolts at the bottom, but to use the brackets installed as they discribe.
The question is has anyone put one of these on their bike and are there any pitfalls that I need to be awhere of? Any pointers will be excepted with thanks. :?:

Scotty
Scott - Ditto on the installation of the supports. What glue are you going to use. Here is what I did. I purchased a small kit and a caulking gun conversion kit from a local automotive paint supplier. This allows use of the special tubes and mixing nozzle in a standard caulking gun. Total cost was $24.00 american. The brand is FUSOR. The expoxy is #143 and the conversion kit is #513. www.fusor.com

The #143 is very fast setting (90 seconds). I chose this to eliminate any clamping. With an extra pair of hands I was able to hold the extension in place till the glue set enough to let go.

Just be carefull about getting to close to the edge to avoid the glue squeezing out. Of couse I cleaned and sanded before gluing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Front Fender Extension??

Does anyone have a photo of a Fender Extension "Kit" or have a photo of the Fender Extended? Never seen or heard of this, interested in seeing what it would look like!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Re: Front Fender Extension??

BrianSC said:
Does anyone have a photo of a Fender Extension "Kit" or have a photo of the Fender Extended? Never seen or heard of this, interested in seeing what it would look like!
Are you asking for pics of a fender extension or the Bushtec reinforcement brackets. There are many brands of fender extensions including homemade. The 1800 has a tendency to crack - many say due to bad design. I won't go there however Bushtec developed reinforcing brackets and was giving them away. They now only provide them when you order their fender extension.

I would recommend both but don't have pictures of either right now.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Only touchey point was the slight bending to match the surface curves. Do little bends at a time, if any. One is near perfect, my other is about 90% ideal. When the screwed together, the bracket tends to pull down a little. And hold the metal spacer when tapping through, try not to twist the rivited point any. It is only about one and a half threads to cut. Not hard at all. sounds more intimitdating then is.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Dr. Rob and I drilled out the rivet in the screw boss. Placed the boss in the vice and tapped it out. We then replaced the boss with a new rivet, and we were good as new.

The reason we pulled the boss, was that it seemed to want to stress/flex the fender a little too much, while taping it out on the fender.

Different strokes for different folks. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Bulldog

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bulldog,
I had a really tough time tapping the boss, also. I've tapped 100's of holes, but the metal my boss was made of was exceptionally hard. I got it done just fine without removing the boss, but I was really concerned I'd break the tap.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I glued my Bushtec FFE with 3M body panel adhesive, I had my buddy that works at a collision shop glue it, this is the glue collision shops use now INSTEAD OF WELDING

When I taped the "bosses" I sprayed the tap and the boss with "TAP EASE" it makes tapping a hole a joke, cuts like butter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bushtec Fender Extension:

I want to say Thank You for all the replies. As you all said follow the instructions and there are no proublems. The tap went through the boss with very little effort, the only small glitch was pulling off the protective cover on the tape, it broke or had been cut but got it off. A friend at a local body shop is going to glue the extension on for me. Just waiting for the cure period to end. Thanks again. Scotty :shock:

·
Registered
64 Posts
bushtec ext.

I have one but will let my dealer put it on. I have had a real good experience with them so far,always do what they say they will do.Hope this ext. is a good one,like the way they look on other bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts