GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bushtec colour matched FFE and would rather glue it in place instead of using the bolts and screws provided. Any suggestions on how to properly do it? I would appreciate any help. I have a new rear portion of the front fender. so it is not soiled in any way(I'm not going to say why I have a new rear portion of the front fender but it might have something to do with not wanting to use the screws :oops: )

·
Registered
823 Posts
I bolted mine and the bolts don't look as bad as the bushtec paint, it doesn't match at all. If you are going to glue it I would use something that does not set up concrete hard. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve
Thanks for the suggestion but I know there are some on this board that have glued their's and had sucess. I'm surprised your colour doesn't match. Mine matches perfectly and I have always found Bustec quality not only second to none but always a company that stands behind their products. Did you talk to them about the mismatched colour? I'm sure they would be more than happy to make you one of their many happy customers.

I know the bolts aren't bad looking, Im just paranoid about cracking my front fender again. It was my mistake and I overtightened the original ones and wrecked my fender.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I remember seeing some photos from Quickdraw about gluing the FFE on the old board. I haven't seen him post in while though. Maybe Jeff in Ferndale or IB Mike have an e-mail address for him and he'll send the info to you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
RRIXX, I completely understand your pain my friend. I have "el cheapo" FFE in chrome, I am quite happy with it for now. I have been following the posts about the color matched FFE and I also worry about the front fender cracking. If it were me in your place I would try to use what we call at work RTV. It is simply silicone sealant. It comes in many colors and clear would suffice in this project. We use that stuff for many different applications to "glue" various materials together. It will adhere to plastic very well if the surfaces are clean and dry and free of any wax or coatings, and the cure is allowed to be at room temperature. I would be hesitant to use an epoxy because of its permanent application and may damage the surfaces it is applied to. There are various glues designed for plastic and this may also be the answer. Best of luck to you with your endeavor. Happy riding.

·
Registered
994 Posts
FFE install

Hi Rick

Tried to send an email but it came back as failure - incorrect address listed?

Anyway my son works in a body shop and he came over and looked at my extension. He said they use body panel adhesive to attach quarter panels all the time. He is going to talk with his boss tomorrow to comfirm.

Will let you know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glued on Bushtec FFE

Rixx, email me off list and I'll forward Dayle's pics and instructions

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim

Thanks for letting me know about my incorrect e-mail address in my profile. One would think after 52 years I could spell my own name correctly. After all, there is only 5 letters in it :oops:

Let me know what your son says.

Courtney

I went to your profile and unless I am missing something, your e-mail address isn't there. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
RRIXX

I had a buddy glue my FFE on with 3M BODY PANEL ADHESIVE, and then I added the FFE support that John sent out for free. My buddy has been in the auto-body, collision bizz for 20 years, and he says this stuff is absolutly the strongest glue on the market

It's been on for about 2500 miles over all kinds of mistakes (oops I mean roads) and I haved not had ANY problems.

You WILL like the look (w/o any bolts)

have fun, good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
FFE

My questions is, I have one of the "original" FFE's from Show Chrome or somebody. It's screwed on and it has that crappy double stick tape as well.

How difficult is this to get off? Will a hair dryer loosen that tape enough to pull the FFE off?

I also wonder if the Bushtec FFE holes will line up with the holes I now have.

I'd really like to get the Bushtec-it's longer and just might keep a little of the road crap off the lower fairing.

·
Chard Member
13,050 Posts
Uncle Harry....Why not just extend your extension if you're worried about removing the old one?

If you want to loosen the tape on your old one you can apply WD-40 for a few days before you try to remove it. I've taken a couple off and none were a problem to remove.

Phil....I had the Showchrome extension on the bike but I kept getting nails in the rear tire! :( I decided something longer would work better to knock the nails down before being sent to the rear tire. :idea: The black (hard plastic) portion of the ext is from a Honda lawnmower rear bag unit, cut to fit. I have it angled toward the front tire. The chrome bolts came from one of my Valks! I tried to keep it as Honda as I could! LOL...It has worked out fine for the last 20,000+ miles.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Actually I did report the paint mismatch to Bushtec and they suggested I return it along with the rest of my fender and they would then repaint it. Nice try on their part but I am getting a trailer from Kruzer and they are painting it to match the bike so I sent them the FFE and they are repainting it for free.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Nice flap, Red. Did you make it or buy it?

...and snowing!! :cry:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts