GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about puting a front fender extension on my GL1800 trike, It is raked. I've looked over the various ones offered at HDL and gone over the reviews. They seem to increase the chances that the rear fender section will crack at some point. I see that piece is not cheap!!!! Are they not worth the risk?
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Mike

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I opted for the Fenda Extena version and bonded it to the inside of the fender. No cracks that I know of, no bolt holes and good pretection of the lower cowl and underside area of the bike.

I would do it again.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I also have the Fenda Extenda (it appears in different ads as either Extenda Fenda or Fenda Extenda) glued to the front fender. Just checked a couple of days ago and there are no cracks on my front fender.

Fenda-Extenda does make a model specific to the GL1800

You can order it here http://www.dandyindustries.biz/

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought the Fender Extender from RoadTrip Essentials. The fit and finish is so good that it looks like it came on the bike from the factory. If I didn't point it out, my non-wing friends would not even know it was there. It flows that well with the lines of the fender and the paint is perfect. The people at RoadTrip are great to work with as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also have the Fenda Extenda from Dandy Industries. I bolted it on with small bolts.

Only have 8000 miles on it , but no problems so far and it does a world of good at keeping the grime off the front cowl.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I've had my Road Trip Essentials 6" Front Fender Extension installed for about a year now and 15,000+ miles. No problems with cracking.

I have not read any reports lately of owners complaining about cracked fenders when they installed a fender extention. I'm not sure why, as it was a very hot topic for quite awhile, maybe I just haven't run across them.

The extention helps keep the cowling clean and should help reduce the number of projectiles (nails, screw, etc) being thrown at the rear tire of a motorcycle. With a trike, other than keeping the cowling a little cleaner I don't know of any other great benefits.

·
Registered
165 Posts
FFE

ditto on RTE FFE............................2 years; no problems, no cracks, looks OEM...........................

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Great White Wing said:
I opted for the Fenda Extena version and bonded it to the inside of the fender. No cracks that I know of, no bolt holes and good pretection of the lower cowl and underside area of the bike.

I would do it again.
I did the same as well.

I don't think I heard of any rear front fender cracking with the Fenda Extenda bonded (glued on). I believe the problems occur if the fender extension is bolted/screwed on.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
ford68xl said:
I bought the Fender Extender from RoadTrip Essentials. The fit and finish is so good that it looks like it came on the bike from the factory. If I didn't point it out, my non-wing friends would not even know it was there. It flows that well with the lines of the fender and the paint is perfect. The people at RoadTrip are great to work with as well.
Mike,

Ditto here! At $95, the fit and finish is second to none and I agree that it truly looks like an OEM piece. I highly recommend RTE for any of their color matched parts.

here is the link:
http://www.roadtripessentials.com/223682.html

Also, here is a side by side comparison of with and without (mine is the CBC Wing).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts