GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season's Greetings to all....

I have read prior posts about the various front fender extensions/applications... Has anyone had any problem with the extension dragging on speed bumps? Any "spiderwebbing"/cracking on the fender with the extensions? Also, anything new in this department that doesn't require drilling holes in the fender?

We will take delivery of our new '07 in AZ shortly after New Years'. The "Great Pumpkin" (dark metallic orange) will "live" in AZ while we commute back and forth from Alaska.

Thanks in advance for your input...

Gene in Alaska

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fender extention

Gene I have the bushtec extention which i bought from RoadTrip essentials color matched to the bike. Yes you have to drill 2 holes in the fender ,no it will not drag on speed bumps and as of 60,000 mi. has not spider cracked In my opinion it is the best of the bunch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
After looking at all the available extensions, I went with Road Trip Essentials color matched product, painted to match my 06 red. It's gorgeous. I think the lines of this extension follow the shape of the wheel and fender better than any other, and i have had zero issues with speed bumps or hazards of any kind. I was worried about this, because I'd heard some guys lost theirs from other manf's on speedbumps, but with the fit of this extension it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Looks trick as hell, too 8) :D

http://www.roadtripessentials.com/

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've had three. The Bushtec was the second and it caused my fenders to break when a rock got thrown between the extension and the tire and was rolled around and out the front. So I replaced it with the Kury. It extends staraight down from the fender rather than following the curvature of the wheel and has a replacable rubber piece on the end. Works great.

·
Registered
155 Posts
fender extender

You're gonna laugh, but.....
I used epoxy plastic glue ($3.00) and an old mouse pad (free). Measured, cut nicely, glued to the inside of the front fender. It extends down about 5 inches, is black and not obvious, keeps the tupperware clean, can't crack the fender and was cheap!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Re: Fender extention

Redwing2 said:
Gene I have the bushtec extention which i bought from RoadTrip essentials color matched to the bike. Yes you have to drill 2 holes in the fender ,no it will not drag on speed bumps and as of 60,000 mi. has not spider cracked In my opinion it is the best of the bunch.
REdwing....I'm not sure how long ago you bought your extension....but I contacted RoadTrip essentials today re: an extension. I was advised that the fenders (which are color match painted) are not Bushtec. I was told that you have to drill 3 holes for the screws. However, as an option You can glue the fender on without the screws.

Zeebo

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ellary said:
I've had three. The Bushtec was the second and it caused my fenders to break when a rock got thrown between the extension and the tire and was rolled around and out the front. So I replaced it with the Kury. It extends staraight down from the fender rather than following the curvature of the wheel and has a replacable rubber piece on the end. Works great.
Ellary...as i am planning to buy one of these extensions in the next couple of weeks....I wanted to ask you a question about your above comment. Do you believe that the Kury extension, with its straight down design (rather than curving around the fender) makes any difference for stability and fit???

Thanks.

Zeebo

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I have the Bushtec extensions and they are only glued (although the instructions say bolt them...used ABS glue...they come with a fender reinforcing bracket...no problems here

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have the kury half chrome, half rubber with no problems, it is glued and bolted.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have one but I can't remember who it's from. It broke the front fender. The fender had cracked without it and I riveted a strip of stainless steel across the break. The extension came with a set of steel strips you are suppose to stick on to keep the fender from breaking. I didn't trust the glue so I didn't use them. After the fender did break, I riveted the pieces in. ('Should have thought of that earlier.) You have to look close to find the rivets.

Keep in mind, I run hard over gravel roads and the fender broke on a gravel road. You might not have that problem although I know a guy who broke several fenders using extentions and he refuses to leave pavement.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I must echo the praise for the Road Trip Essentials extension.

I have 20K on mine and no problems and I like the looks better than the chrome one that broke my fender.

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Gene Kallus said:
Season's Greetings to all....

I have read prior posts about the various front fender extensions/applications... Has anyone had any problem with the extension dragging on speed bumps? Any "spiderwebbing"/cracking on the fender with the extensions? Also, anything new in this department that doesn't require drilling holes in the fender?

We will take delivery of our new '07 in AZ shortly after New Years'. The "Great Pumpkin" (dark metallic orange) will "live" in AZ while we commute back and forth from Alaska.

Thanks in advance for your input...

Gene in Alaska
I've installed several different one's Gene and had no problems with any of them myself. I think the rule here is just to do a good job of it initially. BTW, Soldotna was my home for 20 years...nice town. I lived on the top of Skyline Dr off the Kalifornski Beach Road. At this time of my life I like AZ and I can ride every day of the year here :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Gene,
I like this one because it has the metal braces. I installed it on my new 07.
I had no problem drilling holes in the plastic fender.
To me it looks just as good as any factory bolt on the bike.
My 02 extension did not have the braces and the fender cracked at some point
with no incident that would be a known direct cause for the cracking.
I have to assume the unbraced extension had something to do with it.
I mounted it unpainted so I could see if it just looked invisible
(like it was part of the tire), before having it painted to match the bike.
The ones I have seen painted seem to make the fender look especially long,
if not a bit bulky. The appearance is obviously all subjective as
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Of course, you and I see Eye to eye
in that respect as we both behold the Burnt orange as being the most beautiful.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for you input... Will kick it around a little bit. Have to travel from Alaska to Arizona to take delivery of the 07 on the 5th...

Happy New Years to all!

Gene

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Snake Doc said:
I like my fender extension from roadtripessentials.com. highly recommended.
RTE Here is as well, looks stock and no problems.

BAT

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Your fenders may break with or without extenders on them. Honda skimped there which is why the replacements parts are relatively cheap (they made lots of them).

Here's a fix for cracked stuff. Not only does it prevent cracks, it makes the front end almost silent on bumps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Here it is. I finally figured out how to post pics- look out!
This mouse pad fender extender is alot less noticeable in reality than in the picture.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts