GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the archives and read about front fender extentions, the good and the bad. I'm going to install the Show Chrome PN: 52-708 fender extention and would like to ask for help on how to install it. In the instructions it said to tap out the rear fender rear mounting bolts to 6mm and using the supplied 6mm bolts and about some template provided. None of these things were in the kit I got. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I can't find your part number on wingstuff. Does your part attach directly to the front fork tubes at the top? Most of the kits I've seen require you to drill two holes in the lower sides of the rear 1/2 of the front fender, then bolts are run through to attach the extension with some two sided tape.

Here is a picture showing the road trip essentials extension in case your interested. Even as long as it is, stuff still gets on the cowl.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I have searched the archives and read about front fender extentions, the good and the bad. I'm going to install the Show Chrome PN: 52-708 fender extention and would like to ask for help on how to install it. In the instructions it said to tap out the rear fender rear mounting bolts to 6mm and using the supplied 6mm bolts and about some template provided. None of these things were in the kit I got. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ed.here is your extension correct? http://www.goldwingcountry.com/deta...Bike_Parts__Black_Front_Fender_Extension___GL_____

First off remove the back half of the fender.

You will need a tap to finish off running the threads through the top fender mounts..
They are not tapped all the way through from Honda.
Do this from the outside of the fender..

The three of these I have installed went like this.
I taped several layers of duct tape.on the outside of the fender right next to the mount you need to tap further..
I then used a Vise grip pliers to hold the mount to the fender..(do not over tighten the vise grips.you don't want to crack the plastic,or damage the paint!

You will see why it is needed as you slowly run the tap through the mount,turning slowly and backing it off,then turning it back in ,until you get the tap all the way through..
That mount isn't held into the fender but with a pop rivet,and if your not careful,you'll tear the mount out of the fender..
Having said that-I've done three of them now and it just has to be done carefully!!

The two stubby bolts go in through these mounts from the inside of the fender..
Line up the extension on the back half of the fender and mark the holes to be drilled.

Remove the extension and drill the three holes.
Now start the stubby bolts in the braces using the single hole.the ob-longed holes go on the bottom to the sides of the extension.

Now start the rear bolt/nut to hold the extension on the fender and then attach each side bolt/nut.

Remember do not over tighten these three bottom bolts,or you can crack the fender itself..

PM me if you need any other help..

·
Registered
328 Posts
My solution was 1/8" neoprene gasket material. I found three small machine screws (s/s) short enough not to cause a clearance problem. It keeps most of the crud off and is flexible so you cannot damage the fender. Lighter than most the rigid ones too.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just use the one rear screw, RTV the faces and clamp them together overnight (so a good bond can occur)... then, the next day seal the inside edge where the extension and rear fender touch with some clear silicone to keep the road debris/ water/ snow from seaping down into the RTV... you'll be good to go.. mines installed this way and been fine for 8 months riding through 0 degree weather to 80's... rain and snow...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ed.here is your extension correct? http://www.goldwingcountry.com/deta...Bike_Parts__Black_Front_Fender_Extension___GL_____

First off remove the back half of the fender.

You will need a tap to finish off running the threads through the top fender mounts..
They are not tapped all the way through from Honda.
Do this from the outside of the fender..

The three of these I have installed went like this.
I taped several layers of duct tape.on the outside of the fender right next to the mount you need to tap further..
I then used a Vise grip pliers to hold the mount to the fender..(do not over tighten the vise grips.you don't want to crack the plastic,or damage the paint!

You will see why it is needed as you slowly run the tap through the mount,turning slowly and backing it off,then turning it back in ,until you get the tap all the way through..
That mount isn't held into the fender but with a pop rivet,and if your not careful,you'll tear the mount out of the fender..
Having said that-I've done three of them now and it just has to be done carefully!!

The two stubby bolts go in through these mounts from the inside of the fender..
Line up the extension on the back half of the fender and mark the holes to be drilled.

Remove the extension and drill the three holes.
Now start the stubby bolts in the braces using the single hole.the ob-longed holes go on the bottom to the sides of the extension.

Now start the rear bolt/nut to hold the extension on the fender and then attach each side bolt/nut.

Remember do not over tighten these three bottom bolts,or you can crack the fender itself..

PM me if you need any other help..
BLACK ABS FRONT Chromed ABS Fender Extension extends the fender 7". Drilling is required. Includes support braces. 52-708 BLACK ABS FRONT Fender Extension For GL1800 Goldwing - Not Air Bag Model Includes Fender Support Braces Kit
SHOW CHROME BIG BIKE PARTS 52-708
Part #: BIG-52708

This is the one I bought from Hal, so I think it is the one your talking about too. In Hal's picture for the part it shows a yellow bike with it and no bolts. I've heard some use ABS glue after sanding a little were they connect. I know what you mean about being careful not to spin the mount out of the fender, I just got through fighting and fixing them on my rear spoiler because I used lock tight when I originally mounted it. Had to use good ol JB weld but it worked and I saved it...whew.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I would not drill a single hole. I would use the black ABS glue from Lowes found in the plumbing section. 30,000 miles so far and I know people that hove more miles then that. The rear fender section tends to crack from drilling holes. Some people have had no problem driling hole but I would not take the chance in my opinion.

G

·
0 Posts
Both

I drilled as directed,wasn't thrilled about the stress points, so I used epoxy as well.

I would not drill a single hole. I would use the black ABS glue from Lowes found in the plumbing section. 30,000 miles so far and I know people that hove more miles then that. The rear fender section tends to crack from drilling holes. Some people have had no problem driling hole but I would not take the chance in my opinion.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After looking this fender extention over I think I will try the ABS glue method like alabamaWing did. Not sure if it is a better solution or not but looks like less of pain. The way ABS glue holds plumbing pipe it should hold this pretty good. After I get some miles on it I will report back.

Thanks to everyone that answered my help call, you guys are the best and this board is great.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It fell off

i glued on my fender estension (color matched from Road Trip Essentials) according to the instructions I read about on this forum. Less than a year later, it fell off, and I ran over it with the back wheel, before I even knew what happened!
Bought another color matched extension from Road Trip Essentials and drilled the 3 holes in it.
Ain't gonna fall off now!!!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts

Advice, ----- Don't!

DaleC

·
Registered
64 Posts
I glued mine on and it works great. No holes in anything. I figure if I didn't like it I could just saw off the part that hangs out of the factory fender.

G

·
0 Posts
Agree..

Nothing is pernament. If you dont like it, take it off, if it crack your fender, fix or get a new one.. Lots of people trying to keep a bike in showroom condition.. RIDE IT !!! ENJOY IT ! If it gets trashed along the way, get another one.. Ya only live once..

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
When you start replacing the two side bolts on the front fender (1 short and 1 long).

Just remember there's a rubber washer to be used on the lower (long bolt).

It shows in your service manual, section 2, pg 2-6.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I also hve the Fenda Extenda glued it on with a product called liquid nails with no problems but still it gets dirty under the bike before that i had the show chrome one which you had to drill holes over time it cracked the fender :eek: i suggest do not drill

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Mine has been on for 40,000 miles and hasn't caused any issue.You over tighten the bolts,then you're going to get cracking eventually..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine has been on for 40,000 miles and hasn't caused any issue.You over tighten the bolts,then you're going to get cracking eventually..
Thanks Rocky,
Another question though, if I understand you right the rear mounting bolts for the stock fender have to be tapped out to 6mm x 100 and then I need to buy some longer bolts to fit? Then the upper end of the supplied bracket goes in between the mount on the shock and the stock fender. And the elongated hole on the other end of the supplied bracket is what the lower side bolt I see in your picture goes too. If I'm understanding these pos instructions I got. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts