GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 1800s the front fender has those small openings, one on each side, up toward the front. Does this have any functionality other then spewing rainy, sandy, road gunk all over the front of the fender? I wonder how many folks have plugged these with something?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Closing off those holes in the front fenders will make the whole front end shake violently when you are decelerating around 35 MPH. Your battery will discharge prematurly. Your tires will cup badly. For heavens sake don't mess with those triangular openings !!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
cgent said:
Closing off those holes in the front fenders will make the whole front end shake violently when you are decelerating around 35 MPH. Your battery will discharge prematurly. Your tires will cup badly. For heavens sake don't mess with those triangular openings !!!
Thanks for that info. This board keeps me from making some major mistakes.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
cgent said:
I gotta admit that was funny... :lol: But the real answer is it wont affect anything if you close them up.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I have seen some folks glue Chromed ABS or pieces of mirroirs in them with great results and they look good to boot.

Bulldog

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got a couple of yellow reflectors at walmart less than 2.00 and glue them behind the openings. I had to trim off a little, they look good.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have seen some folks glue Chromed ABS or pieces of mirrors in them with horrendous results and they look bad to boot. :a13:

LIMNCS RULES!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
cgent said:
Tom,
I solved the violent shaking and tire cupping problem by reshaping a couple of crush washers, had them chrome plated and stuck them on the fender with gorilla glue. Unfortunately the battery still discharges prematurely and I now am suffering a severe lack of rainy, sandy road gunk for my front fender.

·
Registered
97 Posts
cgent said:
Now thats just funny!!

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
They are front tire sidewall coolers, don't you know anything! :D

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I think they werre part of the weight reduction engineering for the 1800. Honda also saved a heap a dough on plastic. That's why all the OEM replacement parts are so cheap. Be glad for them holes1

·
Registered
255 Posts
beastie said:
Listen, Honda put those holes there for a reason.
You got that right Don, and no one should change a thing on a Gold Wing :twisted:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Aw Common' folks.
Ain't nobody took the tour at the factory.
They hang the 1800's from those holes while they're comin' down the assembly line. :lol:
And, if you ever get stuck, the tow truck can put his hook there. :lol:

Hey amandabiker,
I think Hal has RSRG for your front fender, in several varieties, in his Gold Wing Parts Store.
I recommend the "fully synthetic" stuff as you don't have to change as often. :lol: :lol:
Those of you who leave the FWAEP ( Front Wheel Anal Ejection Ports) activated,
may want to consider the "lower cowl diaper" which is a close match to the "Fairing Bra"
so you won't have a fashion clash.
I guess it just DEPENDS on what effect you're looking for
but we all want to avoid those embarrassing moments. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot....
If you hook a couple of bungee cords from those fender holes, to the air inlet holes on the fairing,
it makes a cheap steering dampener and will cure all your wobbles. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
130 Posts
Whew!!! That was a near miss!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Roadtrip essentials makes a cover for the sidewall cooler holes for those who want to risk having warm sidewalls. :wink:

I'll probably be getting some in my candy black cherry accent color for my black Wing.

Dep

·
Registered
254 Posts
Fender side wall cooling vents!!

Dream Catcher said:
Aw Common' folks.
Ain't nobody took the tour at the factory.
They hang the 1800's from those holes while they're comin' down the assembly line. :lol:
And, if you ever get stuck, the tow truck can put his hook there. :lol:

Hey amandabiker,
I think Hal has RSRG for your front fender, in several varieties, in his Gold Wing Parts Store.
I recommend the "fully synthetic" stuff as you don't have to change as often. :lol: :lol:
Those of you who leave the FWAEP ( Front Wheel Anal Ejection Ports) activated,
may want to consider the "lower cowl diaper" which is a close match to the "Fairing Bra"
so you won't have a fashion clash.
I guess it just DEPENDS on what effect you're looking for
but we all want to avoid those embarrassing moments. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot....
If you hook a couple of bungee cords from those fender holes, to the air inlet holes on the fairing,
it makes a cheap steering dampener and will cure all your wobbles. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC
DC,
I think I found the problem. When I glued the reshaped, chromed crush washers on I reversed them. The biggest problem I had was the damned gorilla glue!!! I used the dremel and now I have bigger TFFTSWCV's (Triangular Front Fender Tire Side Wall Cooling Vents)!!!! I think I have the problem solved now and thanks for the Bungee cord tip. I used two bungees on each side and the bike "SNAPS" back to the straight of the road after coming out of a twistie. It took a few turns to get used to but it works now. My next project is to install one of those really small Honda Generators in the trunk to recharge the prematurely discharging battery. Anyone recommend a good chiropractor for neck problems. Those "SNAP's" back to straight road can be a killer.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
At the homecoming I spoke to a lady who works in the body area of the factory. She said they were cut out to alleviate a small wind induced shimmy in the front fender at high speed that was detected during the R+D of the 1800. She sure sounded legit to me. Flame suit on. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts