GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the rear part of the front fender.
Does the front wheel need to come off?
TIA..:smile2:

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
On my 08 i can't remember the last time i removed it. I would take the front part of the fender first and i think you can then remove it without removing the wheel.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have not taken the front fender part off yet. On the rear section I can see two screws holding it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my 08 i can't remember the last time i removed it. I would take the front part of the fender first and i think you can then remove it without removing the wheel.

Yeah, this ones different, its an 2018.:smile2:

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not taken the front fender part off yet. On the rear section I can see two screws holding it on.

Thanks for the reply.
Looks like the 2 same bolts are on the front of the rear fender.
The rear fender is also the bracket (1 piece) for the painted front fender to bolt onto.:smile2:
Looks like it drops out from above, so looks like the wheel has to come off.:frown2:
Thanks Honda.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yes, the service manual says the front wheel must be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
When they get the fender extension produced I want to install one on my DCT. I am getting too much slop and debris on the lower cowling.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Fender extensions on the previous generation caused fender breakage. :eek:(

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What kind doesn't break fender? My previous extension came with metal braces, the fender still cracked.

The heavy metal ones will break the fender, the plastic or ABS ones are light and never break.
I used fendaextenda on my earlier Wings with no problem.:smile2:
I hate all the crap the short stock fender throws all over the engine front.
The extender eliminates that.:smile2:
UPDATE:
Just finished putting the extender on. Wasn't to bad to install, easier taking the wheel off and the fender off to locate it properly on the rear front fender.
The instructions are a guesstimate at best.
There are some little white nylon washers on the lower part of the front fender that needs care to install correctly.
Honda factory messed both of them up and pinched them between the fender and the mounting boss. I had to ream a little piece of plastic, that was smashed, out of the fender hole.
Luckily Lowes had an exact match and I replaced them. Honda wanted $3 dollars a piece for them, Lowes charged me .62 cents each. Surprise, surprise. LOL
It will be nice to have the lower front part of the bike clean from mud and everything else that gets thrown up on it.
Do a search on the internet for the extension, it can be had for $35 to $45 dollars.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Fender extensions on the previous generation caused fender breakage. :eek:(
Yes they did with the old model...but the plastic on the 2018 is not the same as the plastic that was used on the old bikes painted fender. The fender plastic used on the old bike was more brittle than the plastic used with the 2018. I don't think cracking will be a problem with the plastic used on the back fender of the 2018.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I had extensions on my previous model GL1800's without issue. Surprised they felt additional 6.5" was necessary - it definitely should help keep things cleaner. Looks like they kept it so close to tire that you'd really have to make a bad choice in direction before you ever have a problem with extension catching something (these bikes aren't fun on the trail). I have 14500 miles on mine (all but 10-15 miles were ridden on pavement) and hadn't thought it was a problem. If I had to ride dirt road more frequently I might feel differently.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts