GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through everything here and cant find anything about how to remove the rear section of the front fender. I have removed the two front bolts (obvious) and found the rear bolt on the left side (a little less obvious), but I can locate a bolt head for whatever is holding it on the right side. All the bolts have 8mm heads, and on the right side, there is an 8mm bolt head going through some sort of brake line bracket, but when I losened it off, it didn't same to be the right one. Even the shop manual doesn't shed much light, as it doesn't show the location of the right-side bolt(s).

Any suggestions and/or pictures would be helpful. Even Fred's DVD didn't help..., they only show removing the front section and caliper covers.

Thanx...

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
On the right side there is also a 10mm I think below the 8. It goes through the black piece with the brake lines coming out. Can't think what it is called. After all 4 bolts are out you have to force the plastic out the back. Jiggle it around and put some pressure on it as it doesn't just fall right out. Two 8's on the left and an 8 and 10 on the right.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Like Ponton said, take out the 10mm hex head bolt from the delay valve on the left facing the front of the bike and the 8mm bolt on the secondary master cylinder on the right (rear most black bolt on both sides, I think) plus the two obvious ones in front of the forks.

After removing the bolts, I had the best luck wiggling the rear section downward toward the tire the sliding it down the tire toward the rear to remove. Re-install in reverse order, lay it against the tire from the rear and slide it up and when you have it aligned with the bolt holes, wiggle it upward into place, then install bolts.

Hope this makes sense and helps. Just changed mine out last Friday.

Mike

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Brian,
Man send me your SPOT and I will tell you? Once you get all the bolts removed you have to do some wiggling to get it out and where the TWO fender bosses are at it fits very tight. THE GOOD NEWS is it goes on easier than it comes off. What you doing to it?

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the right side there is also a 10mm I think below the 8. It goes through the black piece with the brake lines coming out.
Like Ponton said, take out the 10mm hex head bolt from the delay valve
Thanks guys. I had a feeling it was the 10mm bolt that was holding it in, but was reluctant to take it out before I knew for sure.

:thumbup:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What you doing to it?
Hey Eddie...

I have a fluid leak around the area of the left fork tube where there's a whole bunch of brake cables and fittings all coming together. It's so covered with crap right now, I cant tell if it's a brake fluid leak, or the shock tube seal is leaking, so I need to clean up the whole area then see if I can figure out where the fluid is leaking.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at that picture in the shop manual for about an hour, and for some reason just drew a blank. Just could not figure it out. :shrug:

It's all sorted out now, though... :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
be careful when you put it back on

you can put it on "relaxed" (NOT in a bind)

or you can put it on "stressed" (IN a bind)
..and then, more prone to cracking.

Make sure the bottom of the rear fender
is relaxed (don't tighten any ONE bolt first)
and pulled AWAY from the tire
... it's very easy to put it back on with the bottom of
the fender much closer to the tire then it should be.

(and all that muck??
your brakes are most likely fine...
... you probably blew a fork seal like the rest of us)

Dennis

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you can put it on "relaxed" (NOT in a bind)
:thumbup:

... it's very easy to put it back on with the bottom of
the fender much closer to the tire then it should be.
I have one of those "long" fender extensions, and the bottom tip sits very close to the wheel, so it's not too hard getting it positioned properly.

(and all that muck??
your brakes are most likely fine...
... you probably blew a fork seal like the rest of us)
That's what I figured, but there was so much dirt and grunge all over everything, I figured I'd clean it up and check it out, just to be sure. My only concern (about being brake fluid) is that there was a very slight drip on the floor, and it was dead clear. I figured if it was fork fluid, it would be dark and smelly.

If it's the fork seal, I'll give Mike at Traxxion a call and see if it's covered by their warranty.

Dennis[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
443 Posts
It should be easy to tell if the leak is the forks. Just wipe it off and grab the handlebars and pump the front end a few times. You'll see oil around the top of the lower portion of the fork.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Brian my guess is gonna be fork seal. We have rebuilt about 10 pair of forks in the last 3 weeks. Never seen a brake fluid leak unless it was on a trike. Good luck up there and be safe
Eddie

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wipe it off and grab the handlebars and pump the front end a few times. You'll see oil around the top of the lower portion of the fork.
Thanks..., it's still up on the lift, so I'll do that tomorrow when I let it back down. :thumbup:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It should be easy to tell if the leak is the forks. Just wipe it off and grab the handlebars and pump the front end a few times. You'll see oil around the top of the lower portion of the fork.
Yep..., that's the ticket. Looks like a bit of fluid on the fork just above the dust cap.

Well, at least I got everything in the front end apart and cleaned up... :thumbup:

Now I just have to see if I can find a dealer to fix it under the extended warranty... :shock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts