GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
both front side covers items 13 and 10 on the front wheel parts diagram, have broke has this happened to anyonr else, anybody got idea why they would break?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yep, its most likely that fender extender you got on there.
Remove the back part of the fender and see if it has rubbed the tire.
Also, be sure and not tighten the screws too tight on the caliper covers.
If none of that has happened, I don't know what to tell you.
I removed my extender because it had rubbed. I was running the Michelin Pilot Activ on the front of my trike and it is thicker than the front tires for the two wheeler. It broke both my caliper covers in several places. I just put them back together with crazy glue. So far, so good.
The one on my two wheeler is the Bushtec extender with braces and it has not cracked anything in 94,000 miles.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I concur. I had all 3pcs.(incl. the rear 1/2 of fender) break on my '02' even w/the braces installed. I really liked the size/build of the Bushtec, but I also believe that was part of it's demise. I had repaired the parts several times, but in the end a very expensive replacement of parts.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
both front side covers items 13 and 10 on the front wheel parts diagram, have broke has this happened to anyonr else, anybody got idea why they would break?
with the covers off try wiggeling the rear half of the fender, i suspect it is cracked or broken in the area between the forks and that caused your chrome side covers to break, as u already know it will be very expesive to fix

i would recomend removing that extra long fender extension and throw it in the junk, because of the rather weak rear fender any fender extension is a bad idea and the extra long extensions are extra bad

another possible cause is the antidive valve, is your antidive valve working correct or is it stuck and causing a rough ride ? if its stuck either replace it or cut the tip off, if u cut the tip off it will never cause any trouble again :thumbup:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I forgot to add that my rear fender was broken in several places along with the caliper covers. I used crazy glue on all of it. The fender was broken around the metal mounts and in some places the pieces came off. I used crazy glue on all the pieces, around the mounts and all, and so far they are all staying together. It is not noticable unless you are looking close.

I did take off the extender. Mine was the colormatch one and it was too close to the tire.

·
Vendor
17,795 Posts
I've seen many aftermarket fender extenders break the front fender. The Hondaline one is shorter. I rarely see that one break a fender. In my opionion, the Hondaline accessories are the best value for the money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts