GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my tire today and I noticed this front fender 2nd half has cracks.
The cheapest I found was $239.00.
Any idea how I can fix this so it doesn't get any worse?

Front Fender 2nd half.jpg

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Fender extensions cause cracked front fenders.
Do you have one on your wing?
I have heard of guys using epoxy to fix them.

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
Was an aussie post/video long time ago that shows how to use zip ties ( as welding rod ) with soldering gun . I have done on side cover post awhile ago till i found newer one . It works !! Good luck . Can get zip ties in colors to get close to bike paint

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I repaired the front fender on my 1500 that was actually broken, not just cracked. Clean and scuff up the inside surface, lay up a couple layers of fiberglass cloth, and use EPOXY resin. Cover with wax paper and use a block and clamp to apply pressure until cured. Epoxy resin cures a lot slower that polyester, but is MUCH stronger. Careful to not get carried away with too much resin so it does not smear out on the outside surface. It worked well for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Yea, I figured you did.
I didn't put one on my trike for that very reason.
I rather clean off the cowl once a week then pay big bucks to keep fixing it.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I was changing my tire today and I noticed this front fender 2nd half has cracks.

View attachment 51075
That looks like the tab for the 5MM clip that holds on the caliper covers. Maximum torque is 30 IN/LBS. If much more it cracks every time. That is a hard screwdriver tight. Any type of wrench cracks them. PM Waldo. He has fixed them in the past and posted photos. I would use glass cloth and Loctite CA glue with kicker (accelerator). It smokes when it cures in seconds. Do not use it with the fender mounted on the bike. Also baking soda with the CA glue dropped on it is like steel in seconds :22yikes:. If you spill it on anything it won't be removable :nojoke:.
Practice on some scrap ABS plastic first or you could get into a world of trouble.
Certainly other methods would work but this is what I use to repair model RC turbine powered aircraft.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts

View attachment 51075
may want to check with your local dealer . They well have take off parts from insurance claims ect. They may if they have one just give it to you

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I've used this quite successfully to fix ABS http://www.plastex.net

I fixed that exact area on BigCats Yellow Wing. I actually used the Plastex to fix the mudguard tabs back on.

It's extremely easy to use.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I broke one a few years ago. Just replaced it and smashed the fender extender to pieces. No trouble since. I just figured that was my price for doing something stoopid.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

View attachment 51075
I paid about $175 for mine and that was at a Honda Powersport dealer. Mine was the result of the fender extender I installed. I'm just not that careful tightening to plastic.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I paid about $175 for mine and that was at a Honda Powersport dealer. Mine was the result of the fender extender I installed. I'm just not that careful tightening to plastic.
The price of mine was somewhere in that neighborhood. Nowhere near $200.00. Actually, I was a little surprised at the price. I thought it would be much more.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The price of mine was somewhere in that neighborhood. Nowhere near $200.00. Actually, I was a little surprised at the price. I thought it would be much more.
Same here. Especially from a Honda Dealer. The irony was the fender extender I bought was too short to do the job I intended it to do. $30 extender + $175 fender and I'm still back to where I started from.:oops:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Same here. Especially from a Honda Dealer. The irony was the fender extender I bought was too short to do the job I intended it to do. $30 extender + $175 fender and I'm still back to where I started from.:oops:
I was just checking Partzilla and if I am correct around $173.00 is the going price. I suspect in that area where there is a lot of wind it would probably just break again. In the end, rather than using an extender I just coated my cowl with bed liner. Like I said... Been there! Here's my sign! :oops:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I used a similar product to plastex called Plastifix to fix some broken tabs 3 years ago and they are still holding strong.
http://www.urethanesupply.com/PlastiFix-Kits-1/PlastiFix-Kit-White/

All rite Big Mick, where were you a month ago when I post the same type of plea for help... LOL
Appears to be just what I needed. Bought new fender and awaiting its arrival. I will be ordering this product for future Tupperware repairs.
Thanks for your post it will be used.

DOC:bow::bow::bow::bow:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Have the long EC fender extender and no issues for years, it is the over tightening that is an issue. In past repairs, I have used ABS glue layered with fiberglass mat. Takes a day to cure, and do use a few layers. The CA glue if it grabs, would be stronger.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Fender Cracks

I'll second the motion of over tightened bolts, done by "overly enthusiastic" mechanics.

Before my bike goes to the dealer for new tire mountings, I remove all the front wheel pieces (chrome, fenders, etc.,) and reinstall it all myself when I get bike home later. No problems then.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
It will crack again unless you remove the fender extender. The fender was not designed for you to put worthless chrome extender on it.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
I guess I am not understanding how over tightening the bolts will crack the fender? Aren't they shoulder bolts? I can't see how torque will change the spacing when the shoulder bolt was designed to hold a certain gap. Unless the shoulder is soft and applying excess torque will change that dimension. Perhaps the twisting of the fender while the torque is applied? I do agree 100% about over torqueing though. Not good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts