GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I'm new here.I have a 01 Yellow gl1800.To do a short story,When I bout it 3 years ago I change fork seal.This Week,the left seal blow,seem it's not the first time,the groose in the left where the clip fit to lock the seal show a lot of wear..I read on the form and it's seam common on the left leg caused by the anti-dive.When I change the seal this Morning I looked in the leg and realize the is a lot of wear,approx in the center,where the bushing slide.

I would like to change this leg only,but with a 06+ to get the second oïl seal.Did the only difference is the room for a second seal,all other spec of the leg are the same?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Check with Uncle John on the board... he usually has some extra parts laying around.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi

I'm new here.I have a 01 Yellow gl1800.To do a short story,When I bout it 3 years ago I change fork seal.This Week,the left seal blow,seem it's not the first time,the groose in the left where the clip fit to lock the seal show a lot of wear..I read on the form and it's seam common on the left leg caused by the anti-dive.When I change the seal this Morning I looked in the leg and realize the is a lot of wear,approx in the center,where the bushing slide.

I would like to change this leg only,but with a 06+ to get the second oïl seal.Did the only difference is the room for a second seal,all other spec of the leg are the same?

Thanks!
Yes you can do as you suggest and fit a later fork leg to your 01 Wing, just make sure you get one from a non-airbag model.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Yes you can do as you suggest and fit a later fork leg to your 01 Wing, just make sure you get one from a non-airbag model.
For my info, just wondering if you have actually done this ??? Are you sure that the ADV attached to the slider is the same, and if so, how do you know ???

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
Did you do the bushings last time along with the seals ? Just curious on anti dive ? What difference is there in them and how do you know ? How to test if possible ? Cant he just disable it - most do when redo "springs " ! ???

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Did you do the bushings last time along with the seals ? Just curious on anti dive ? What difference is there in them and how do you know ? How to test if possible ? Cant he just disable it - most do when redo "springs " ! ???
If you are referring to disabling the ADV, I would actually say that most don't disable it. That's more of a forum thing.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Easy way to disable and test ADV is insert a crush washer. While you're at it you'll be able to determine if it is jammed in the extended position. Personally I like mine enabled but I also regularly flush and bleed my brakes. I have replaced the ADV once as it was jammed up at one time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
For my info, just wondering if you have actually done this ??? Are you sure that the ADV attached to the slider is the same, and if so, how do you know ???
I've done this the other way around. When I had my 2008 Wing (non airbag) and needed a left fork leg the only one I could get was from a 2001 Wing and it went straight on without any problems, everything transferred over OK including the anti-dive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seem to fit,I bought a 2008 complete left side,compared to a 2001-2005 ther are exactly the same fit,tab location,lenght,bracket,anti-dive.All parts have the same parts number except the leg.Since I changed my seal on my 2001 anyway,I will wait and swap the 2008 leg next time the seal will leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts