GL1800Riders Forums banner

Front fork problem

2K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Dream Catcher 
#1 ·
I dont know if this is the right board but it appears that my frt tire is closer to the shrod than it should be it is rubbing the fender extension on the shroud can some one give me some advice on this

#3 ·
i did but i put everything that came off back on the same way i sat it all on each side of the bike

#4 ·
btt
i really need some advise on this

#6 ·
The front fender is extension is rubbing on the shroud were the fog lights are

#7 ·
I suspect you have put the wheel on correctly if the wheel is turning easily with no binding. Sounds like you are saying that the tire is rubbing on the back fender or the fender extension. Some things to check;

1. You may have put the back fender on improperly. The fake chrome side pieces go over the top of the back fender when mounted properly. (this would be my guess for the problem)
2. Are the screws holding the fender extension properly tightened?
3. Did you remove for tire replacement and is the tire the right size?

In the end I may not have understood the problem correctly. If this is the case, please ignor my contribution (my wife has no problem with this)!

#8 ·
Isn't it funny how we all speak the same language, but then again not! The bullet points I posted may still be the issue, even though I got the question wrong.

You may want to also check the shroud. If the two bolts (one on either side) at the very bottom of the shroud are in and tight, there is very little chance that the shroud is causing the problem.

There isn't a lot of clearance between the fender (and added fender extension) and the shroud even when everything is properly installed. If the extension was not designed properly or installed properly, that could be the problem.

#9 ·
I WILL CHECK THE SHROUD AND SEE IF IT IS BACK FOR ENOUGH.the fender is fine only the gap btween the fender and the shroud is like maybe a half inch. it has rubbed the fake chrome off of the shroud i thought the forks may be the problem i dont know.i dont dog my bike out i try to take very good care of it only i have notice this for a while and started looking at some other gw's and notice the difference . i have not been on my bike in a few months since the loss of my daughter. so when i went to ride i saw the chrome was worn. i dont know if anyone else has had this problem maybe fred might know whats wrong. or rick or maybe even HAL.
IM TRYING TO STAY UPBET but im not i dont want to ride and cause a bigger problem.

#10 ·
If it's just the chrome finish worn off, the road blast of crap from the front wheel will tend to do that, even with a FFE. Sand and road grit will wear it some, mix that with water and you have a powerful abrasive tool. Have you ever seen a waterjet cutting machine? They'll blow through solid steel using only sand and water.

If they are actually making contact, you should see some damage from the impact, or hear noise when they hit.

How about some pictures? We're all a little confused about what is actually happenin here..

Dave
GWBBA #9

#12 ·
How about some pictures? We're all a little confused about what is actually happenin here..

Dave
GWBBA #9

That would eliminate the guess work on our part. I thought that the tire was hitting the fender some place. If I under stand right the rear of the fender or the extension is hitting or rubbing on the lower cowl, probably at the center area where it comes forward just a little.

#13 ·
fender ext. rubbing front lower cowling

Hello, I bought a used 03 Wing and I have a similar or same problem. In my case some of the chrome on front lower cowl has rubbed off. I have never heard it hit or rub, suspect does on bumps or maybe slow speed turns, but have never felt it or heard it. I also seem to have clearance when bike is on center or side stand and you turn the wheel. I have the long fender extension, and believe it was mounted too low and a small gap was left between extension and the fender. I am going to try and raise the mounting location some and get a snug fit onto fender with the extension. If this works in my case, then a new lower front cowling may be my next piece of chrome!! Randy

#14 ·
A simple check would be: If the extension is rubbing the lower front cowl, then the fender extension would also show evidence of marks in the area. If the extension has no "rubbing" marks it's road splooge causing the wear and the extension is not rubbing.

Else-wise, it is rubbing, but why? There is no reason it should, especially with half inch clearance at rest.

Check for broken mounts. Air might push back the rear fender if the mounts are broken and cause it to rub at high speed. Doubtful tho.

#16 ·
First, check the mounting tabs for the back half of the fender. If they are broken the fender extension may be out of position.

If the mounting is OK, check the clearance between the fender extension and the front cowl when the forks are compressed. You will need a helper to compress the forks up and down while you check the clearance. Some fender extensions have plenty of clearance until the forks are compressed. You may need to shorten or remove the extension.

#17 ·
That would eliminate the guess work on our part. I thought that the tire was hitting the fender some place. If I under stand right the rear of the fender or the extension is hitting or rubbing on the lower cowl, probably at the center area where it comes forward just a little.
thats right

#18 ·
the extension is on properly and nothing is broken or out of synk(close enough) i have heard the bike hit hard on a bump now and then like if it was bottoming out, dont know if the oil is full or not. no signs of a leak on either one on jack stand the clearence is there sittng on side stand no room about a lil less than a 1/4 ihch clearance.

#19 ·
We'll from what you say I'd be very worried about the stem bearings have fallen out, lost some balls, that is the only way the fork could move that far backward or it is bent from hittiing something, what ever go to a dealer it should be warranty if you bought the extended or get a friend over there to check it out

#20 ·
The best suggestion is to simply ride it down to your Honda dealer and ask the service writer to come take a look at it because you think you have a problem.

If you suspect a stem bearing issue sit on the bike, hold the front brake and rock the bike forward and back while listening for clunking and watching for forward and aft movement.

Not seeing an obvious fork oil leak does not mean you have not gradually lost oil from the seals and the harsh impact you feel when hitting a bump may actually be the forks bottoming.

Again, if you don't have an experienced mechanically inclined friend, drop by your dealer and ask them to take a quick look and tell you if you have a problem or not.

#21 ·
thank you all as usual you guys with all of your vast and extensive experience has come thru for me again. you gave me the right direction to go with the need info. just dropped my bike off and the dealer said he never saw any thing like it i just said fix it. i inquired as if the front was covered by the warrenty he said he did not know so i went on line before i went there and it says that the shocks,forks,suspention, and something else was covered so oh the anti dive valve so if this is on of the problems then so be it. only i really need to thank all of you. for your time and input and even the sarcastic jokes keep them coming we all need to laugh sometime just to take off the pressures of life again thaks to all.
roaddogg
powder springs ga.see you on the road

#24 ·
ROADDOGG, Post the results of your repairs. I have

questions and no answers.

Your follow up post may help some one. Thanks.

#25 ·
:thumbup:you got it like i said on the other post hopefully it will be this week:bow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.