GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about installing progress springs in my 08 and wanted to know if it made enough of a difference to warrant the price?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quick question if you don't mind...

I too have a set on the way and they should be here like Monday. I was also going to change the oil even though the bike is brand new...91 miles!

I was just going to remove the front wheel and hang the calipers. Then, it looks like I can drop the tubes out without removing anything from the top...plastic cover, meter panel, etc.

Sound ok?

This all may sound dumb to do on a bike with 91 miles, but if you would have seen the fork oil that came out of my 2007 XR650R THE DAY I BROUGHT IT HOME from the dealership, you'd understand!

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
No need to remove anything from the top. after draining,loosen the top fork tube bolt in the triple tree and remove the fork caps, separate the forks before you loosed the bottom bolts. separate them by removing the dust cover and the snap ring then with forks pushed up pull down hard to allow the seal and slider to come out may have to do it a time or two to get them to separate.

Easy job..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Whoa! I'm not doing seals and bushings...just changing oil and springs. I'm just going to completely take each leg off, take off the caps, remove the spring, dump and pump the old oil out.

Thanks though,
Russ

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the spring under pressure when I take the cap off?

·
Registered
396 Posts
There isn't a lot of pressure from the stock OEM springs. The Progressives however are very strong and you might need help pushing them down to get the caps back on.
Yep. Just got done taking them off. No big deal at all. Do the Progressives come with preload spacers or do you use the stockers? Guess I'll find out. Also, the damper rod spacer is a lot shorter than the non damper rod side...kind of different.

Hey, I measured the air space just for fun before draining the fluid and I had 5 1/2"!! I'm hearing it should be anywhere from 4.25 to 5. Anyone care to comment on this? I know some of it may be personal preference.

·
Registered
17,123 Posts
The Progressive spring install instructions have their recommended level. They recommend less oil than does HOnda because their spring is bulkier. I "think" I recall Honda specifying 5", Progressive 5 1/2" and that I used 5 1/4" just to compromise. Its nor really how much oil you have, its how much air freeboard you have that matters.

prs

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where is the best place to by them?

G

·
Yes they are worth it. I have a set still in the box if your interested. I ordered two by mistake. PM me, if you like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts