GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you used for fork seals and bushings? I tend to lean towards OEM. My 2005 has 51,000 miles on it so this is really just for maintenance. I am thinking about Traxxion front springs. I have never done the forks on an 1800 but done them on my old 1500 numerous times.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I have always used OEM for fork bushings and seals the quality of OEM is superior IMO as for the head bearings ALL BALLS is the prefered choice here :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm the other way from Goldwing fan... My oem seals leaked before 20k miles so I fitted All Balls seals, still ok 3 years later. All Balls taper rollers as head bearings gave me hassle - OEM for them. Progressive springs are good if you're not too heavy, if you're heavy you may take up the soft section by your weight then the ride will suffer.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I used OEM seals and bushings from wingsoft. Purchased Traxxion fork springs from them through eBay. It was a little cheaper.
Disabled the anti-dive while I had them apart.
Also found a Traxxion fork brace brand new on eBay.
I love the way the forks work now.
I wish I had done steering head bearings while I was there.
Freds videos were very helpful.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
What have you used for fork seals and bushings? I tend to lean towards OEM. My 2005 has 51,000 miles on it so this is really just for maintenance. I am thinking about Traxxion front springs. I have never done the forks on an 1800 but done them on my old 1500 numerous times.
pdq,
As you can see and read, lots of opinions on this. I will give you my short experience concerning all this. When we purchased our '08 Level II Wing, back in Dec of 10, it had only 7,000 miles on it and it had ZERO wobble in the front end. Over the years, I've had a few front tires installed. I also developed a left front fork seal leak a couple of years ago. Well, a summer or two ago, I decided to take on, the replacement of the seals and whatever else was worn in that front end. I asked on here, as you have, about what to get, buy, do, change, alter and more. Well, for the most part, the answer was get OEM seals and parts but, get the Traxxion Billet Triple tree and All Balls bearings.

Well, I was skeptical but, I was in a position to purchase all that. I installed everything per instructions from boys on here, and the manual. When it came time to tighten the All Balls, this is where I drew the line. If I recall, I was instructed to put a whopping 23 ft. lbs. of torque on the stem nut(s) And that was the answer that would alleviate all wobble.

Well, **** YES it will. That's because you're using the stem nuts, with that kind of torque, on those All Balls to create a steering stabilizer. When I torqued them to those specs, the steering was ratchety. That is, I could feel the binding of each of those bearings. Well, I've dealt with a few zillion wheel bearings in my life and, have never, ever tightened any tapered wheel bearings anywhere near that tight. So, I backed them off all the way down to right at about 5 lbs. torque. The stem had no play and if felt smooth, from lock to lock. I figured what the heck, I'm not gonna ride around the rest of my life with over tight steering bearings, just as an attempt to rid myself of my front end wobble.

Fast forward about a year. We were traveling in the motorhome and, towing the truck which, carried the Wing. We were Gettysburg for a few days enjoying our history. My front tire was pretty bad. So bad that, it actually had a tiny piece of cord showing, NOT GOOD. So, while camped, I cruised the i-net looking for a place that could install a new front tire on the Wing. Well, I found a small, out of the way shop that specializes in Wing repair. I called them and they said they could handle my needs.

So, I zoomed through the backwoods of Gettysburg for about 15 miles to get to this little shop. He (the shop owner) was a great guy. He presented me with choices for my tire. I picked a lesser cost one. He said it would work fine but, not wear long. About an hour after he started, I see him take off on my Wing. He returned a few minutes later. He came in and said: "You're all set to go". I paid the bill, thanked him and his wife for getting to me quickly and so promptly. I jumped on the Wing and headed back to camp.

Here's the point of this story. As I slowed down to stop at a stop sign, SOMETHING WAS WRONG!!!! I had absolutely ZERO WOBBLE!!!!!! I thought, nawwww, I'm dreaming. So, I zoomed up to about 50 and, let off the throttle and was expecting the usual beginning of the wobble, at about 40-45 mph. Nope, not there. Slower to 35, still not there. Slowing down to 20, nope, not there. I **** near slowed 'till I almost fell over (no cars on the road but me) and absolutely ZERO wobble.

I did that same test, again. All the way from 50 down to almost zero mph, ZERO wobble.

So, my moral of this story is, if you're gonna rebuild your forks, seals, sliders and all that, KEEP THE FACTORY, ROLLER BEARING TRIPLE TREE. This is my opinion. I'm no hot rodder with the Wing. They say that the Traxion tree will eliminate any slop in the front end steering, when in parking lots and all that. Well, I never felt that Wing was all that sloppy in parking lots anyways. Besides, I don't spend much time in parking lots. As for mountain roads and curves, well, to me, it's just not that much different than my stock tree. Again, my opinion. If I had it to do all over again, I'd save myself a heck of a lot of money. Your bike, your choice. Good luck.
Scott

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If you have rebuilt the forks on a GL1500, you will find the GL1800 easier to do. After you remove the front tire and axle and before you loosen the forks from the triple tree, loosen the allen head bolt at the bottom of the fork. I would use all OEM parts. With close to 90K on my '06 I've never had any reason to touch the steering head bearings. IMHO most wobble issues are caused by issues with tires.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I found out the hard way, go with OEM no doubt, All Ball a winner too but I never had a problem with OEM.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I recently did my front forks with Traxxion springs & used Golden Spectro shock oil with oem parts. Having had the 07 Wing for about 5yrs and had less than 20 thousand on it when I bought it. I had no idea where the sag was as to a new one was. Just felt like they needed changing. To me the original progressive type springs were gone at 20,000mi, as I put the the new Traxxion "Linear" springs in I noticed that it sat higher and the problem with putting it on the center stand that everyone complains about was completely GONE!!! I am old and 165lbs and have always had no problem putting any m/c on the center stand but had to use the 1/2" board and grunt to get it on the center stand, now no problem, pops right up. Just a added bonus of changing to a better spring set-up for the wing YMMMV!!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would suggest linear springs front and rear depending on your weight. Check out Racetech site and they can spec springs for your weight. If you are into the forks, Racetech makes a inexpensive kit for the fork that works beautifully. I also modified the rear shock and put a Goldvalve in it. It all works excellent. I am an A group (fast group) roadrace track rider. Not bragging, just a little background. My suspension works very well now. No need for a new hydralic hose on the rear shock. Just fill with more fork fluid the get the setting on the preload to zero. I have Ohlins on all my sport bikes but Racetech products work very well too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts