GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was merrily riding home from the city this morning when a hen pheasant
ran in front of me and I hit her....hard. She broke the front lower cowling.
The knockout for ditch light is gone and the cowling is badly cracked. I
don't see any other damage except to the pheasant. Innards all over.
My question is....How difficult is it to replace the cowling? I am a less
than average wrench. I wonder how a chrome replacement would look?
Thanks for your help. :-(

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bob: I am CMA and also Patriot Guard. I have an '02 1800 with Honda OEM fog lights. A couple of years ago, I replaced the lower cowling with the chrome one, I think the brand was "Big Bike", but not sure.
It's a "booger of a job" when you have fog lights. I suggest you get your wife or a buddy to help you. Go slow and be careful you don't crack the new chrome cowling. Also, be aware that it's just chrome over plastic. I didn't have the front fender rear extension and the road grime, rocks, dust, etc that the front wheel throws up on the chrome cowling will have black plastic showing where chrome once was. My wing is 7 years old with 100,000 miles, but still runs like when it was new. But I'm not planning on doing the cowling replace again, I'm just gonna live with it.
Ride safe, Stobby

·
Registered
502 Posts
Frt lower Cowl

It is not hard at all you have 3 allen bolts and one pin per side and it will come loose. You will have to pull the black cover up a little to get it to come down. You didn't say if you have driving lights if you do you will have to clip the round insert off and file or cut smooth. Before you put the new one on you have to remove the two clips the the allen bolts go in and put it on the new one. The allen bolts are not the same size so be careful you replace as they come out. When you get the replacement there will be instructions with it. If you get chrome one think about the cam cover and cap. And if you do that put the cap on first before the cam cover. Also put the fender extender on to protect the frt of the engine.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frt Lower Cowling

Thanks for the help. I do not have the driving lights so that should make it
easier. Are the Timing Chain Cover and Cap the same as the Cam Cover??
Thanks...Bob

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not a difficult task. check out the "how to, step by step" section as well as do a search on front cowl install.

You need to make note of the bolts you remove...some are longer than others.

I would also suggest drilling out the holes on the cowl....making them slightly bigger for the bolts....but don't do this for the 2 clips. It just makes everything easier.

Protect your fender when removing the cowl and put a cloth of something on the ground in the event you need to put the cowl on the ground.

Zeebo

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not hard to do. First time just be careful and watch how it comes out, otherwise a 10 minute job to r & r.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Those cowls can be found used for really cheap on eBay 'cause there are so many take offs.

Four bolts, two push rivets, but really watch the order of the layers or you'll have a h*ll of a time.

Timing chain cover and cam covers are not the same, but you don't have to worry about those. You can remove the black inner, front cowl #14 to make installation of the lower cowl a tad easier, but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
A chrome replacement will look great - just not for very long. I painted mine black with truck-bed liner paint. I do have a Fenda-Extenda to keep some of the dirt and gravel off, but that paint is very durable. When it chips, touch-up with some paint on a Q-tip. It looks even better with the chrome timing-chain cover and cap.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Took 20 minutes... I have fog lights too .

Since this pic.. I've added the ROF and other various pieces... I get compliments all the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts