GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are power plugs under each fairing pocket. These need the special plug.
I know I can order power plugs that are "plug and play" but I want to hook up 2 lighter type power plugs that I already have for my xm radio and my gps.
Has anyone taped into the plug wires under the pockets are is it better to run a hot wire from the battery to the front of the bike?

Also, do most of you have the fused power outlet (like Tulsa sells) that allows you to hook up accessories or is hooking up straight to the battery ok?

mike

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Hi Mike,

The power connections that you reference under each pocket area are switched. You might want to consider running your GPS off a "Hot" circuit (fused to the battery, of course) so that you can keep it energized when the bike is stopped.

I wouldn't recommend wiring all of your accessories straight to the battery. I would install a relay-controlled switched accessory terminal, each leg individually fused. This way, everything will turn off with the key, your wiring is protected and the installation is very clean. Electrical Connection has some great accessories for doing this correctly.

It's not too hard to make the connections to utilize the power plugs under the pockets - E/C also sells the connectors so you an terminate your wiring very cleanly, very cheaply. In addition, you might want to look at a power splitter harness from Chris @ Chrisco Accessories

It's better to do it right the first time and know you won't be stranded with a blown fuse or fried wiring in the middle of nowhere :lol:

(No connection to either of these companies - just a satisfied customer)

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jon

Great advice and info.
Thanks for the reply.
mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts