GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found it cracked on left side at front botton mounting screw. No signs of hitting anything, I think I would have known hitting anything large enough to do that. Someone may have not liked where I parked or something and kicked it. At a loss as to why or how. Just wanting to know if anyone has had theirs crack there from possible stress. Its an 05 with just over 70,000 uncorrected Honda miles. It is not the original, which was replaced in 09 after it was I guess blown over one night sitting in a P/L on the BRP. Just wondering.:shrug:

S

·
0 Posts
My front fender cracked just like this along with the mounts on the rear section.
What happens is a rock gets picked up by the tire, normally in semi fresh oil, and as it rides along the fenders it forces them out cracking the mounts.
You see a lot of fenders on eBay as this is a common thing.

I decided to forgo the replacement and just built new fenders out of steel for mine.

http://www.kokes.org/MyMotorcycles/GL1800/1800 Fender Fix/album/index.html

·
Registered
236 Posts
My front fender cracked just like this along with the mounts on the rear section.
What happens is a rock gets picked up by the tire, normally in semi fresh oil, and as it rides along the fenders it forces them out cracking the mounts.
You see a lot of fenders on eBay as this is a common thing.

I decided to forgo the replacement and just built new fenders out of steel for mine.

http://www.kokes.org/MyMotorcycles/GL1800/1800 Fender Fix/album/index.html
Nice job!!:congrats::congrats:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yep, I suddenly (after about 45K miles) went thru 4 front fender pieces on my 07. Never hit anything & neither the dealer nor me could figure out why. Each new fender lasted about 5K miles before cracking again. Just as suddenly, all has been fine for over 20K miles.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,197 Posts
Make sure the right bolts are in the right holes and the 2 lower ones also have the rubber washer on them. The lower ones are 5 mm longer than the 2 at the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts